wheelboxes

have to disagree I bet the o/s one as I described whilst sat in a traffic queue

after wiper arms falling off again and me bashing them on.

I'd left the dash top off after redoing them earlier when the wiper arm fell off on the way to work Monday.

Guest WALFY
I'd left the dash top off after redoing them earlier when the wiper arm fell off on the way to work Monday.

Tony

How do you get to work. Leave house, start truck, reverse 2', drive forward 2'. Get out lock car walk back indoors and start work :D

Guest WALFY

Tony

I wave at most LR I see. 1 followed me and Jo into M/head the other day. Cutting up everyone in its path. Hopefully that wasn't you <_< .

As for crossing the white line. The f/o/s wheel bearing was giving me trouble. It finaly gave up and fell apart by Dunster. I knew I had new bearings and complete hub assembly in M/head so I took the chance and drove the next 1.5 m with strange steering characteristics to say the least.

As for the odd looking 90. The cage has been off for a couple of weeks now, a nice shiny bulkhead is fitted AND 2 brand new doors. Sod the expense. Just a few wiring anomolies to sort out. I'm sure James would of told you. Surprised you didn't pop round to see the work in progress. Only took 7 days. Working on my own and outside in the weather. Daves trialler didn't get finished so that took up the workshop space. The only help I had was Dave took out the pedal boxes and helped lift in the new b/head. Getting the old 1 out was interesting on my own. Sort of got thrown out.

New box in

hit switch,half a wipe,stopped

checked fuse : ok

checked for loose wires:none

checked relay:clicks when switched so ok

removed motor:broken cable!!!

plugged motor back in on floor:works fine

i had the blades in the parked position when i refited the box so how have they snapped the cable? :unsure:

Any suggestions about refitting new cable and blade starting positions when refiting would be great. :)

Not done this yet but I did have the cable out last year and spun the wheel boxes through 180 degrees.

See thread here,

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...amp;#entry96351

Now I would have thought that if you take wiper arms off the external splines completely.... And with cable out of the system completely, if you slide the well greased cable back in, bolt up motor etc. you will have a natural starting position.

Before putting wiper arms back onto splines, turn ignition on, hit the wiper switch and see if both splines roll over and back.

If all seems well in the Land Rover world, put the wiper arms back onto the splines so blades are in the parked position... Hit the switch again.. Is all still great in your world ?

Refit dash around wiper motor etc.....

Can someone confirm my logic is good or come along and use the ole flame thrower to guide me back into my corner....

Neil

Before putting wiper arms back onto splines, turn ignition on, hit the wiper switch and see if both splines roll over and back.

If all seems well in the Land Rover world, put the wiper arms back onto the splines so blades are inthe parked position... Hit the switch again..

Seems good to me. That's exactly what I had to do after the 101 wiped it's face instead of its eyes!

AndyG

Let me know how you get on Pete as I've got two new wheel boxes to go on at some point....

Just waiting for the clear blue sky day, about 18 degrees and being in the mood for the PITA job...

(What was I doing back in the 60's...... Oh yes.. Started school !! :) )

Neil

After my jobs on the wipers etc

I had the wheel boxes apart and there was no visible wear on the cog itself so replacing them maybe a wasted effort

mine now wipe the correct amount after fitting a new motor

Thanks for that Tony....

Sad news is that I bought two new wheelboxes purely because I didn't know if they could be mended and they aren't a massive cost each. I'll put the new ones on and keep the old ones if they are all fine and dandy after a bit of bending...

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got round to replacing the wheelboxes this afternoon....

Can't believe how much skin you can lose off your hands doing these....

All came out and went back in again easily.... No extra screws either !

Look at the mess.....

post-1475-1174168691_thumb.jpg

This is where most of the skin goes...

post-1475-1174168753_thumb.jpg

post-1475-1174168793_thumb.jpg

End result is nice quiet wipers.... Kept one box for a spare for 18 years time....

Wires in place for the heated screen now, so will get that all hooked up tomorrow too....

Neil

• 5 weeks later...

I've got a problem with the passenger side wipers, I've taken the dash apart and I can see that the teeth are stripped so I will probably need a new wheelbox (or i may possibly get away with turning it through 180 degrees)

Anyway the (probably stupid :huh:) question is, am I right in saying that I have to take the motor and cable out to do either of the above ?

Thanks in advance

• 1 year later...