Welding Chequer Plate

Astro_Al

MIG - no worries ? - Sounds good!

Any welding tips etc???

What sort of gas is gonna help me the most? I've only ever seen one type of ali welding wire, so I guess that will do.

Any idea how to set it all up compared to steel? I guess its easier to blow holes through it than with steel? - Keep the current down a bit?

Ta, Al.

Tig - no probs

MIG - no worries

Mig no worries??? Eh???

Agree no probs with TIG.

With MIG you need pure argon gas, and you actually ned to turn it up casue ally conducts heat better than steel so it needs more current as it conducts the heat away.

However ally doesnt glow red hot like steel does so its very very difficult to tell how hot you're getting it.

You'll also need a teflon liner for the gun, as ally wire is very veyr bendy its kind of like trying to weld with solder rather than wire!

It is possible, however its not at all easy!

Jon

Typical - I just took the remainder of my tank of pure Argon back to BOC...

Which bit does the teflon liner go into - just the electrodey bit at the end, or is a complete gun unit (including the cable bit which screws onto the welder) required?

Cheers, Al.