300 tdi smokey

Sounds like your injector pump. Don't change injectors as that would be a waste of time and money, though you can get them checked. Black smoke on the overrun is quite wierd as the engine should have little or no fuel at that time.

I seem to remember reading somewhere this could be a sticky egr valve as well - you can blank them off cheaply and easily

My previously owned 300 tdi had EGR 'issues' but it was more if you lifted off the throttle ever so slightly at around 40-50 mph than re-applied it, you could often create enough smoke to temporarily block out the view in the rear mirror!!!. It would often hesitate on the throttle at the same time. As it was only intermittent I lived with it.

This sounds slightly different to what the OP describes, though I don't claim to be an expert and ineed the EGR valve could be the culprit. It's an easy thing to elimnate of course.

Does it smell of fuel or engine oil? There's a very good thread in the Disco forum about the EGR valve:-

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7757

Les.

Smells like oil and its black.

EGR valve already blanked off.

Took oil filler cap off engine and theres a little bit of smoke comes up out the rocker cover but not much.

Cleaned the little black round plastic thing on the left hand side of the engine with the two flexy pipes, held on with one 8mm bolt, dunno what it does but seemed like a good idea, made no difference.

I guess its rings?.

My tuppence........for what its worth.

Usually if the smoke is black then it should be unburnt fuel / blocked air filter and if the rings are worn the smoke will be blueish and you will see an increase of oil consumption, worn rings also increase the crankcase pressure so when the oil filler cap is removed whilst running there will be a noticeable air / oily discharge.

If you 'blip' the throttle (briefly rev the engine), do you get a puff of black smoke? If so, then this is a symptom of valve stem seals or guides. If the engine smokes all the time irrespective of throttle position, then rings are the usual culprit. Although with worn rings you get excessive crankcase pressure, which can be identified by what can best be described as a 'weak exhaust' out of the oil filler with the cap removed. Worn rings tends to be a gradual thing, so if this has happened suddenly - it may be something else.

Les.

If you 'blip' the throttle (briefly rev the engine), do you get a puff of black smoke? If so, then this is a symptom of valve stem seals or guides. If the engine smokes all the time irrespective of throttle position, then rings are the usual culprit. Although with worn rings you get excessive crankcase pressure, which can be identified by what can best be described as a 'weak exhaust' out of the oil filler with the cap removed. Worn rings tends to be a gradual thing, so if this has happened suddenly - it may be something else.

Les.

The weak exhaust scenario is not the case, although there is a little bit which comes up and out through the oil filler its not much. I have seen much much worse and if you compare the smoke which comes out the exhaust then its minimal.

It did tend to come on very quickly rather than over a period of time.

has the fuelling been adjusted? mine gave out alot of black smoke (i wouldnt say bellows but alot on overun) i turned the star screw back to where i guessed it should have been (guy before me adjusted it) and it stopped doing it.

has the fuelling been adjusted? mine gave out alot of black smoke (i wouldnt say bellows but alot on overun) i turned the star screw back to where i guessed it should have been (guy before me adjusted it) and it stopped doing it.

I took it to ROEAN who is the local LR mender at Telford.

Its approx 20 miles run with 4 miles dual carriagway, kept it in 4th and gave it as much wellie as possible without going over the top.

Got there - no smoke, drove home - no smoke, sorted. Obviously just needed a good hard run?.

Quick question

whats the change interval for the cyclone filter?

is it a R&R job or can it be cleaned & replaced

happy trails

Abe

I took mine off and washed in a bit of petrol, 15 mins, one 8mm bolt and a few jubilee clips.

It will be interesting to see if the problem occurs after a bit of local running around.

Well true to form it did return for a short period and then stopped again.

I think we will try the intercooler clean out as per landroveraddict and see what that does.

• 11 months later...

We did nothing to the engine because the black smoke stopped and that was nearly a year ago. But now its back with a vengance so time to get the spanners out I think.

Held a white rag by the exhaust and it turned black within a minute, smells oily.

Starts and runs fine.

post-978-1203104031_thumb.jpg

I have taken the manifold off because I think the turbo is leaking oil into the exhaust manifold. However, could be a ring has gone.

The intercooler is a little oily but not bad.

I am thinking if I start the engine with the maniflod off and the smoke comes out one or more of the exhaust ports then the rings have gone, if there is little or no smoke then its certainly the turbo.

What do you think, is it feasible.

it is fesible that the oil control ring could of gone, but id say its unlikely, my bets are on the turbo, is there any up and down play, or in and out play on the shaft?

if your going to try and start it without the exhaust manifold, you need to connect the turbo oil feed pipe to the return pipe, otherwise you will have 60psi of oil pressure spurting out everywhere!