sump help needed 300Tdi disco

freeagent

when changing the oil at the weekend, I screwed the drain plug back in, gave it a tweak with a spanner.. and it just rotated...

after a bit of mucking about we got a plug to stay in, and it seamed to seal alright, but theres a little puddle underneath it now....

what are my options?

new sump... and fit a difflock oil drain plug..?

or are there any good bodges to repair my old one? I'm not too keen on bodging it, as if it decides to let go at 70mph, my engine could sieze before i realise whats going on..

anyone know how much a new sump is?

does anyone do a pattern part?

has anyone near gravesend got a good second hand one?

ta muchly.

Matt.

why not try and find something with a slightly bigger bung and tap a new thread in to it?

you would have to take it off to do this though otherwise would have a sump full of swarf which would not be good :)

otherwise fit a new/good 2nd hand one, not worth the risk of bodging it, too much at stake

Matt I would go for the new sump and a Difflock drain plug.

Should you source a s/h sump check and re-check the rear of the sump for rust. We've had two go there which I why I say buy new.

My ten bobs worth.

mike FOAK

Knickers.

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

Helicoil repair would be fine.

Also, I wouldn't be afraid to weld a nut on it, use a cut down bolt as a drain plug fit a new copper washer, and bobs your uncle.

Certainly not worth stressing over, and not a bodge - unless you don't weld it properly. I certainly wouldn't be spending £70 rather than a simple repair. :) - Just my opinion of course!

Regards,

Diff

Helicoil repair would be fine.

Also, I wouldn't be afraid to weld a nut on it, use a cut down bolt as a drain plug fit a new copper washer, and bobs your uncle.

Certainly not worth stressing over, and not a bodge - unless you don't weld it properly. I certainly wouldn't be spending £70 rather than a simple repair. :) - Just my opinion of course!

Regards,

Diff

Totaly agree!!Whip yeh sump off "Braze" a nut inside, have a look at your oil pump to see if famous bolt is coming undone

"Job's a good un"

And if yeh not happy about your own welding/brazeing get some bod else to do it.

well... I think i fixed it..

drained the oil, wiped the threads round with 'chemical metal' and left to cure...

then re-tapped the thread with 1/4BSP tap...

then fitted a difflock drainplug with PTFE wound onto threads, and plenty of loctite on the washer, etc..

so far so good...... if it doesn't leak, and i never have to remove it then i've had a right result....