Insurance queries

v8bertha

Hi guys :)

Our trip planning is coming ahead in leaps and bounds. We have even found a company that will insure the Camel in North America. All good news, but I'm hoping somebody over there will be able to answer the following for me...

On my propsal form is an option to select the limit of liability coverage. There are option for $50k, $100k, $300k and $500k :blink:

My guess is that this is the maximum limit that the insurance company will pay out, any more and it's down to me to foot the bill. Is this right or am I barkin up the wrong tree here? :rolleyes:

Is it best to jut go for the max or is this a waste of money?

There is an option for Medical Payments or Personal Injury Protection. Is this essential as I would have thought that this sort of thing would be included in and medical insurance that we get?

Lastly... Uninsured/Underinsured motorists cover. Is this a big issue there?

I guess what I really want is the best cover without paying for stuff I don't need. Any advice from people in the know over there would be welcome.

Thanks again!

Dan ;)

Hi guys :)

Our trip planning is coming ahead in leaps and bounds. We have even found a company that will insure the Camel in North America. All good news, but I'm hoping somebody over there will be able to answer the following for me...

On my propsal form is an option to select the limit of liability coverage. There are option for $50k, $100k, $300k and $500k :blink:

My guess is that this is the maximum limit that the insurance company will pay out, any more and it's down to me to foot the bill. Is this right or am I barkin up the wrong tree here? :rolleyes:

Is it best to jut go for the max or is this a waste of money?

There is an option for Medical Payments or Personal Injury Protection. Is this essential as I would have thought that this sort of thing would be included in and medical insurance that we get?

Lastly... Uninsured/Underinsured motorists cover. Is this a big issue there?

I guess what I really want is the best cover without paying for stuff I don't need. Any advice from people in the know over there would be welcome.

Thanks again!

Dan ;)

I think the amount of liability may vary by state. It is $300k in Colorado, and yes it is the most the company will pay out.

Medical is optional, at least where I live. Uninsured motorist covers uninsured motorists, but it also covers you if

someone hits you and leaves. Most people have insurance as most states won't renew your plates without it. To

be sure what you need, I'd check with any state you plan to visit. Where are you planning on going?

I think the amount of liability may vary by state. It is $300k in Colorado, and yes it is the most the company will pay out.

Medical is optional, at least where I live. Uninsured motorist covers uninsured motorists, but it also covers you if

someone hits you and leaves. Most people have insurance as most states won't renew your plates without it. To

be sure what you need, I'd check with any state you plan to visit. Where are you planning on going?

Where? ... Everywhere!! :) B) All of the mainland states, providing nothing falls off and we don't break down too many times!! :lol:

Cheers for the reply, clears up a couple of concerns I had. Now at least I can tell the insurance company what level I want. TBH I was thinking of just getting the max available anyway. I presume if it varies from state to state then the the max it will be is $500 as thats the max offered by the insurance company.

Cheers for the reply!

Dan :)

• 3 weeks later...
Where? ... Everywhere!! :) B) All of the mainland states, providing nothing falls off and we don't break down too many times!! :lol:

Cheers for the reply, clears up a couple of concerns I had. Now at least I can tell the insurance company what level I want. TBH I was thinking of just getting the max available anyway. I presume if it varies from state to state then the the max it will be is $500 as thats the max offered by the insurance company.

Cheers for the reply!

Dan :)

Also definately get the medical/personal injury protection. I also strongly recommend getting your own travel medical insurance. Medical treatment in the US is excellent if you have coverage but a serious problem for the uninsured. My 2 day brush with the US medical system cost me $16,000. :)

John

• 1 month later...
Also definately get the medical/personal injury protection. I also strongly recommend getting your own travel medical insurance. Medical treatment in the US is excellent if you have coverage but a serious problem for the uninsured. My 2 day brush with the US medical system cost me $16,000. :)

John

OUCH!!! Fingers crossed we won't need it but...

I have Jen working on the all the other insurances that we may need. There is a certain amount of "bodily injury" covered in the motor policy, but thats only for injuries sustained while in the truck. As we also plan to do silly things we will require a "sports" policy too!

Looking forward to getting there now, all our UK commitments know we are buggering off now... can't wait!!! :D

Cheers for the advice :D

Dan

OUCH!!! Fingers crossed we won't need it but...

I have Jen working on the all the other insurances that we may need. There is a certain amount of "bodily injury" covered in the motor policy, but thats only for injuries sustained while in the truck. As we also plan to do silly things we will require a "sports" policy too!

Looking forward to getting there now, all our UK commitments know we are buggering off now... can't wait!!! :D

Cheers for the advice :D

Dan

Don't forget uninsured motorist coverage either! I'd think it fairly reasonable to assume that if a person does not have any auto insurance, then odds are it's likely they don't have a lot of assets to go after either....

If you are hit by an uninsured driver here, and as a result of that impact you hit another car, guess who the insurance company of the car you hit will come after ??

Garth

Seattle, Washington

Don't forget uninsured motorist coverage either! I'd think it fairly reasonable to assume that if a person does not have any auto insurance, then odds are it's likely they don't have a lot of assets to go after either....

If you are hit by an uninsured driver here, and as a result of that impact you hit another car, guess who the insurance company of the car you hit will come after ??

Garth

Seattle, Washington

Uninsured motorist costs almost nothing. I think it is $9/month on my policy. I was glad I had it when someone cut me off, I

crashed and they never stopped.