Building a shed

FridgeFreezer

If you want, will be at the club social tonight. Just have to 'encourage' moose/paul to empty it of all his stuff!

hmmmm better crack on and get my new shed build then... and MOT the van, re-bush and service the disco for 7 sisters, finish the painting i have started in the house......

So c u at the pub tonight then :D

I think that would be my vote too. Take up Al's offer, in the mean time apply for planning permission (if required), and build a proper (brick built) garage/workshop.

A properly built one will add value to your home, and will be secure, water tight etc etc. Some thing that looks like the pikeys have moved in will not add any value at all, will probably get broken in to and your tools nicked, and your neighbors will hate you!

Jon

At the end of every big building contract I've worked on we always end up with masses of timber, ply, bricks, etc, which is nearly always skipped and burnt (or the boys take it home ;) ). A number of times, especially on the long contracts, we have scrapped the prefab sheds we used for the canteens on site, most of which were in a farely good state; try having a butchers around your area for a few sites and have a word with some of the lads, who knows you may be able to pick a prefab up for next to nothing or at worst some cheap materials.

As far a timber goes I would not build the shed out of 2x2, unless the skin is of ply (as stated), bare in mind that internal studwork uses 3x2's and that takes minimal loading, don't underestimate the power of the force wind.

One way of getting cheap timber is to buy it in 10x2 joists and rip it down to size on a table saw (this is what I do).

Another source of cheap timber is pallets :hysterical: , large pallets often get resold but the cheaper ones are normally thrown. A engineer mate of mine bilt his workshop this way by using old pallets from his works, only cost him the time, effort and a bag of nails.

As for a clear roof e.g. polycarbonate, I would be warey of using it over a large expanse as temperature in the shed will quickly rise to over 50oC+ in the summer, I speak from experience on this one as I've got a double garage with an acrylic plastic roof and when there's no wind it's like something out of Tenko, however you could always paint out some of the panels to reduce the light/heat.

You could always go the route of making your own prefab concrete sections, time consuming but relatively simple.

As stated all wiring will either need to be carried out by a qualified sparky or signed off by one (good luck with that one.. prepair to grab your ankles). :moglite:

Jon,

For not much money - ebay

These can be added to in height or length or L Shaped...

200082601490 (yeah I know - not exactly local)

Some are "Sheds" of garages :D , but all are like the proverbial Brick ***t Houses :unsure:

Cheap, easy to errect, strong, Pikey proof with minimal work, and you can design yer own..

Nige :ph34r:

It is worth checking the planning regs, but most 'free standing temporary structures' do not need planning permission. Something that is permanently attached to the ground will however need permission.

Bolts into a concrete pad do not count as permanent.

As I said though, check the local regs on the council website...

Mark

Don't know about other places but I belive the standard rule of thumb is if it's on a concrete pad it's permanent and you need the nod and wink from the Council Planners. Alternatively, keep the neighbours happy for seven years after that it's ok ...

more secure the better,alarm it.

Nothing is pikey proof if they want to get in they will,make it awkward and they look for easier target

we had a steel container which they cut a 18" square hole in with portable gas axe on a windy night

they cut the hole 5ft from the ground so as not to hit combustables inside,then chucked a kid or midget gippy through the hole to open the doors from the inside. 20k of gear gone.

I am gonna be bringing the Mog inside as well for a bit, but there will be enough room, so no bother.

Won't that get in the way of your... errr... oh you still haven't got a car have you? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Seriously, I do appreciate your offer Al but it's not just the £10 round-trip (which I can't afford anyway), it's the ~30 minutes each way and being in someone else's workshop. Here I have all my tools, all my junk highly valuable treasure and a nice warm house with a toilet and a kettle about 10 seconds away. Rather than having to make every trip count, I can nip in and out when I get the time and nip back in if something else needs doing. TBH I reckon I'll get more done this way, especially since all the major fab has been done at the lab.

Doing some pricing up of stuff tomorrow to see what's feasible, now I have planned the jobs that need doing on the 109 if it's sunny out I may stick with open-air or tarps just to get the thing done. The fence panel(s) will have to go back up to keep the local chavs out - although they're both totally carp the lodger's motorbikes are a desirable step-up from moped ownership for the thieving scum and I'd never hear the end of the moping if one went walkies :rolleyes:

Seriously, I do appreciate your offer Al but... nice warm house with a toilet ...TBH I reckon I'll get more done this way, especially since all the major fab has been done at the lab.

John - I sincerely hope you're not 'dissing' my pee bucket?

No, sure I can see that, all these little fiddly jobs are probably best done in advert breaks, or whilst waiting for your balls to recover... ;)

That's cool, the offer to help booty-fab your shanty town 'garage' is still there though. Best bet is to look into the council planning thingy and get that sussed - since you already have the concrete, it may not be too painful?

Maybe run a course or 2 of bricks round the base? You could use the ones in that useless box thing along the side of the garden?

Cheers, Al.

Maybe run a course or 2 of bricks round the base? You could use the ones in that useless box thing along the side of the garden?

A good idea but I don't know if that useless thing is there for a reason, and the wall belongs to next door so is best not fiddled with :ph34r:

early stages of warnitus astro alium buildus vapora :lol:

get busy - stop yacking

Oi! Its not Tuesday is it??? :unsure:

Anyway, haven't you got to build a truck in, roughly, the next 6 minutes? - Oooh no, that's right, I forgot, you're cheating and just 'fettling' last years model... ;)

John - for the ultimate in Bachelor's homes, why not just install a garage door on the back of the house and just roll the damn thing into the dining room?

I used to work for a guy who 'built' (I use the term loosely) a plane in his front room the couldn't get it out the window (wingless of course)... See if you can beat that.

Al.

Anyway, haven't you got to build a truck in, roughly, the next 6 minutes? - Oooh no, that's right, I forgot, you're cheating and just 'fettling' last years model... ;)

fe 'korf stick boy - Ive got hours left yet, plenty of time....................

bugger......... :(

have I missed something - its daylight, you've got a day off and you are wasting it talking about getting something done?

I'm actually sorting though the piles of LR bits in the lounge to make a shopping list since it's p***ing down outside, hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better and I can get the grinder out / go rummaging at the scrappy.

PPC have a feature on LS1's (bizarrely "LS1 Vs Mazda RX-7 rotary" :huh: ) so I buyed a copy of that while I was out posting JST's alternator (it was sunny then, of course :angry: )

I'm actually sorting though the piles of LR bits in the lounge to make a shopping list since it's p***ing down outside,

But i thought that it was 'discussed' last night, that some of the bits you need to do are inside the truck.............. i know its a landy but they do not get that wet if you have roof on!! :P

And before you say you have no door tops/ windows.......... you just need polythene and gaffer tape over the windows, as you said you have an alternative access at the moment, big enough for Jez's dog to escape through!!! Thats a big dog!!!

Some bits are inside but I have just moved all my junk out of Jez's workshop so have boxes of random LR bits in the dining room, lounge, the range rover and the company van and it makes sense to sort it all out so I can actually find the bits I need to do a job and not end up buying twice as many bits as I need (for example I have somehow accumulated 5 oil pump gaskets and two sets of V8 exhaust manifold gaskets :unsure: )

Easy-ish job for tomorrow is to bolt the back door, door tops and side window glass in so it's reasonably weatherproof. Considering making the rear floor out of perspex :D any good reason not to?

The only one i can see is for the rear passengers............ watching that rear prop spinning, could be disconcerting, especially if it broke!! :o

If you do do it in perspex, i would suggest something thicker than the diy centre special stuff.

How big would the sheet need to be, and do you intend 'bending' it, if so it takes lots of heat.

I was advised this by my mate sat next to me at the social last night, he works for Aerospace and makes canopies for Tornado's out of it, and pointed out that it has to get v. hot to be mouldable!!

If you just want flat sheets in sensible sizes(smuggleable) then i might be able to assist, may cost a beer or two, via my mate Paul. The ones he got for me are about 8mm thick 'Tornado roof offcuts'.

Some bits are inside but I have just moved all my junk out of Jez's workshop so have boxes of random LR bits in the dining room, lounge, the range rover and the company van and it makes sense to sort it all out so I can actually find the bits I need to do a job and not end up buying twice as many bits as I need (for example I have somehow accumulated 5 oil pump gaskets and two sets of V8 exhaust manifold gaskets :unsure: )

Easy-ish job for tomorrow is to bolt the back door, door tops and side window glass in so it's reasonably weatherproof. Considering making the rear floor out of perspex :D any good reason not to?

HI John. did you want those rusty scafoldpoles,if you want i can drop them off

TWIZZLE

HI John. did you want those rusty scafoldpoles,if you want i can drop them off

TWIZZLE

Sorry i favent been around been clearing my dads house out, sis wants to sell it.

.....FLUFF IT.....!!!!!!

That meens i had to find somewere for all the large parts of the 109

ROOF and RACK on my garage roof OH GOD

TWIZZLE

I had a thought about the door and getting in & out.

How about making a door which hinges up to form an awning in effect. Then make some little sleds that you drive the 109's wheels on to which allow it to slide sideways. You can then drive up the alley on to the sleds push the truck sideways into the shed and close the door. it is possible you'd need to make rails for the sleds out of channel and use a baby winch to move it. In-line skate wheels would be a good choice for the sleds. most are about 80mm diameter, cast PU and have nice bearings.

This has the advantage that you can pile up more junk in front of & behind the truck & still get it out.

Si

The easiest thing, is to set the entrance to the garage up such that you can manouvere the truck in 'square', or practice your 9,000 point turns!!

What i mean by setting up the garage, is, possibly create an area between the plot boundary and the garage door, ie setting it back, be amazed how much difference it can make to manouvering.

Or

Start again and make a smaller truck!!!

Hat, coat, taxi,................ gone!!!