Building a shed

FridgeFreezer

:huh: I think the point has been missed slightly (although Si I have to applaud your imagination!) the concrete slab which was there when I moved in is fine, and with the removal of two 6' fence panels the 109 can roll in and out no problem. The only issue is the easiest way to make a 12' wide door that doesn't eat up 12' of space either indoors or out.

Twizzle - I think the scaffold would be more effort than gain to be honest, once I've got it I'd have to put it all together etc etc. and as I now have a 3mx3m easy-up gazebo I'm doing OK until something permanent can be built.

JU,

The door issue, if you want a full 12ft opening, you will have little choice in what you can do.

My experience was that for a 10ft opening, what i have got, the up & over door was silly price,

cos 'its custom made mate'. The best solution(cost v practicalities) IMHO is a pair of hinged doors, and for that you are going to be stuck with the prob i had, setting the garage back from the boundary so they can open out and not obstruct. It does give you the advantage of another 6ft of work space with a tarp over the doors, good for light/ or doing jobs that need ventilation.

If you set the garage deeper into the garden, will it cause an issue other than having less lawn to mow?

Sliding/rolling door looks to be the best bet - I think I've worked out how to do it too after watching a safety video at work that included the travelling ladders we use that are fixed to the ceiling and run in tracks... :rolleyes::lol:

If I made the lawn smaller where would I put the axles, tyres, winches and the shopping trolley full of engine bits? :P

If I made the lawn smaller where would I put the axles, tyres, winches and the shopping trolley full of engine bits? :P

Errrr................. in the garage? :ph34r:

Only thing to be aware of with sliding doors on a track, they take up alot of wall space, something you might want when you start fitting the garage out.

Errrr................. in the garage? :ph34r:

Only thing to be aware of with sliding doors on a track, they take up alot of wall space, something you might want when you start fitting the garage out.

How come? If you've effectively got a garage door that slides sideways on the outside of the building it doesn't take up any wall space???

John - having seen the place I reckon the roller door is the way forward. :) Start collecting those shopping trolleys (or do you want it to roll in a straight line???).

Al.

Al,

He didnt state where the doors will slide, they normally slide inside as you need to fix them to the ceiling or whatever. I was also working on the logic that the 'garage' would be conventional, ie the doors are one end of the garage, and open up on the whole frontage.

I was thinking about allowing his garage to be setup as a double, rather than as it appears it will be, a 109 in a diagonal location across the building.

Al,

He didnt state where the doors will slide, they normally slide inside as you need to fix them to the ceiling or whatever. I was also working on the logic that the 'garage' would be conventional, ie the doors are one end of the garage, and open up on the whole frontage.

I was thinking about allowing his garage to be setup as a double, rather than as it appears it will be, a 109 in a diagonal location across the building.

Oh cool - well, John has transformed into Isambard Kingdom Brunel Jr in the last 6 months, so he'll be well capable of hanging a nice beefy steel door slider on the outside to gain all that wall space inside (good point though!).

Also, the garage is not conventional in that he will kind of be driving into the side of it, from tha parallel lane - bit odd. Its the 'my shed' blob on the diagram, not the 'garage' blob.

Cheers, Al.

Just to clarify the access method for my rear passage:

post-21-1173123279_thumb.jpg

There's not really enough room to get a vehicle through 90 degrees but the alley is wide enough that you can "parallel park" into the back garden relatively easily.

I rather like Twizzle's idea of a door which folds in the middle horizontally. That would be pretty easy to build and would act as an awning if you needed a little extra dry space!

Another 'simple' solution is a guillotine style door hinged by one corner. You would need hydraulics or a big counterbalance to open & close it and windage might be an issue - but it would look cool!

Si

Considering making the rear floor out of perspex any good reason not to?

Because that was my idea :angry:;):P

..saying that, it'll be a good 3 years before I'm doing floors on George :ph34r: and if I do it it'll probably just be the footwells anyway, the rear floor I've decided will be used as innovative storage in my 88" B)

JU - stop postin' on forums and get working! ;):lol: