So it can be done then....

Guest MJG

Currently on two weeks holiday and in between ripping the en-suite bathroom out and decorating our bedroom I was doing a bit of research into my forthcoming purchase.

In doing so I stumbled across this US compmany:-

http://www.eastcoastrover.com

Who for the US market at one time were installing 300 yes that's 300 tdi's in Series motors.

Clearly too much hassle as they seemingly no longer do this, but for a time they did. I knew a 200 tdi could be fit with a struggle but had been given to understand a 300 tdi was just not possible.

Seemingly not... it can be done, pass me my cheque book Jan....

ino of a 88" s2a around stoke-on-trent thats got a 300tdi fitted

rad sits where the rad normaly sits for a series vehicle, and hes built a scoop into his wing and mounted the intercooler on underside of wing, altho not that effeciant, its still scary quick and my stupidly tweaked tdi 90, just cant keep its sorry ass up :rolleyes:

Guest diesel_jim

I think the reason that ECR stopped doing the Tdi conversions, was due to smog regulations as opposed to the physical difficulties of shoe horning the engine into the series bay.

they (ECR) used to be suppliers of the international 2.8Tdi also (did you see their ECR4 90? very vell tricked up!) they did several conversions but now shy away from it (although, the amount of shyness is inversly proportional to the size of your wallet! :ph34r::lol: )

on the yahoo Tdi forum there was some chat about this, apparently the 110's and 90's have to be taken to a commercial (as in HGV) type testing place as they run diesel instead of devils pee unleaded.

300 into a series no trouble.Easier than a 200 - more room for turbo & down pipe.

Ran mine with the series gearbox for a while - no probs

Now have lt77 fitted - even better.

If you want a tdi series,don't bother with 200,there is no real difference in price anymore,and 300 is nicer (and easier).

med_gallery_1618_185_337292.jpg

If you want a tdi series,don't bother with 200,there is no real difference in price anymore,and 300 is nicer (and easier).

just when i had made up my mind (but not my wallet, yet) to go the 200 route, you say that 300 is nicer and easier... shame on you! :D (thanks for that!! eheheheh) from the pic, i see you have a sII. so, on the sIII, there will be even more space

now, it's time for questions:

- will a 4-core sIII rad keep it cool enough?

- exactly, how long was the "for a while" time, that you used the 300 with the series gearbox?

- will a reconditioned sIII D-suffix gearbox + santana overdrive last a long time with that engine? assuming no race-style driving is done...

- who's a better donor: defender, disco or range?

i'm not planning to do the conversion (either 200tdi or 300tdi) just yet, but i want to collect all the info i can

300 into a series no trouble.Easier than a 200 - more room for turbo & down pipe.

Ran mine with the series gearbox for a while - no probs

Now have lt77 fitted - even better.

med_gallery_1618_185_337292.jpg

One daft question.

How do you stop it. :o

mike FOAK

Knickers

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

- will a 4-core sIII rad keep it cool enough?

- exactly, how long was the "for a while" time, that you used the 300 with the series gearbox?

- will a reconditioned sIII D-suffix gearbox + santana overdrive last a long time with that engine? assuming no race-style driving is done...

- who's a better donor: defender, disco or range?

A series rad would probably be fine,the tdis dont seem to run very hot,but the tdi rad has the built in oil cooler,so its much easier just to use that,especially if you get one with the engine anyway.

It only had the series gearbox for about 6 months - it was a late series 2a box,so possibly the strongest series one available.I can't see it as being more of a problem than a v8 on a series box,and there are loads of them around.

Or to look at it from the opposite perspective - all land rover gearboxes could be seen as consumable items - how many tdis have wrecked lt77s or r380s?

It makes precious little odds what vehicle the engine comes from,300s are all the same except air filters etc.

If you go for the engine swap,I would just add - I fitted a 2.5" straight through exhaust,and turbo pick-up is very quick!

How do you stop it.

11" drums with a servo have plenty of power - the front wheels will lock up no problem on wet tarmac.The carp thing about landrover drums is their tendancy to pull to left or right ,willy nilly - I would much rather have discs,maybe RR axles soon.

I know I'm a right-minded petrol sort but how is this any great shock when the two are so similar? A group of Shires members went on a LR factory engine & gearbox course a while back and proved you could bolt a 300 in place of 200 using genuine parts (I don't recall the details as it was TDi-related so quite tedious :D ) it's surely not a great revelation? :huh:

I know I'm a right-minded petrol sort but how is this any great shock when the two are so similar? A group of Shires members went on a LR factory engine & gearbox course a while back and proved you could bolt a 300 in place of 200 using genuine parts (I don't recall the details as it was TDi-related so quite tedious :D ) it's surely not a great revelation? :huh:

It was to me, and may have been to someone else hence the post..... :P