Trailling Arm Bolts... Sizes?

Mark

About

^-----------------------------------------------------------------^

that long on a 19" screen :ph34r:

Don't know what actual size but they are all the same on all 90/110/D1 I think, as I'm pretty sure the bushes are all the same.

Ralph! get over here now :)

If Ralph in on strike today I will try and find one to measure at work in an hour or so.

BH610321L....

and they are 100mm long....

...which for anybody who thought the above was a facetious answer, I have just measured it on my 19" screen at work (no editing and no cheating) and what I drew is EXACTLY 100mm long so that was a pretty accurate guess naaah naaa :P

That would be M16x100 then.

Your sketched bolt looks a bit thin. Maybe more like :-

------

|xxx|

|----|------------------------------------------------------------------

|xxx|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|

|xxx|\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|

|----|------------------------------------------------------------------

|xxx|

-----

From the Etch-a-Sketch school of CAD - not my strong point!

I didn't check but I am pretty sure they are UNF not metric from the part number, if it was M16 the part number would normally be BH116xxx the last 3 digits being the length (expressed in units of nonexistimetres - or something else nobody knows about - but the bigger the number the longer the bolt!)

BH6xxxxxL are normally imperial thread bolts/nuts so it is probably 5/8 UNF.

Thank you for the replies chaps... I had established that they were BH610321L but I was planning to get them through my local fastener supplier rather than through an LR parts supplier - hnce my question about the size!

I seem to remember that the front radius arm bolts are M16 in the Parts catalogue, so I think I will get some M16x100s and see what happens!

:)

Cheers for the replies chaps!

Mark

Front radius arm bolts are the same spec and part number as metric rear trailing arm bolts. Metric superceded the imperial bolts although we still carry both in the stores at work :)

According to the parts fische there are two lengths of front radius arm bolt however in our stores the two part numbers are the same bolt :huh:

According to the parts fische there are two lengths of front radius arm bolt however in our stores the two part numbers are the same bolt :huh:

Probably due to the different widths of radius arm. Just use the long bolts for the thin arms so there is more thread exposed to rust :unsure:

Logically a finer thread (UNF is finer than metric) should exert more of a clamping force than a coarser thread would for the same torque setting, but as pointed out above we are talking about LR tolerances here and the torque setting "VVVFT" (very very very F tight) works on most suspension bolts :)

I assume the M16 being slightly fatter will fit through the bush Lewis? If so it may actually be a better bet as there is slightly less chance of movement... I just took the number out of a Discovery parts manual and the number is for a UNF bolt, presumably 5/8"x4" UNF. Maybe that is where the 321 in the part number comes from - 3+2+1=4 inches :huh::lol:

I assume the M16 being slightly fatter will fit through the bush Lewis? If so it may actually be a better bet as there is slightly less chance of movement...

Yes the M16 fits fine, that is what I use in preference to the UNF bolts when I'm pinching them from work ordering from my local dealer. I tend to use the UNF bolts to hammer the old bolts out, or as drifts to line the holes up. Plus I have a 24mm socket to hand, but dont carry a 15/16th spanner so the Metric get my vote

Both bolts are shouldered so I guess they are shouldered to the same size, giving the same fit in the bush, but I dont know off the top of my head. I can check at work on monday if anyone really cares that much? :)