Hard wiring winch controls

Sip

Hi

I want to hard wire the controls of my warn 9.5xp. I would like to have a switch in the cab and also keep the option of plugging in the remote. Any help with the wiring would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Thanks for the responses.

I was hoping for a little more detail (read: idiot guide), which wire goes to where on the switch, etc.

I would also like a on/off switch beside the toggle switch (i have a master at the battery), to stop accidental operation. Whats the best way of doing it.

cheers

use an aircraft covered switch for the master control to switch power through to the on/off/on winch control switch, this wire should go to the middle terminal of the switch, then 2 wires down to the solenoids on the winch.

Is it possible to use the electric window switches for this??

What I was thinking was a normal window up-down for the winch control and the rear window isolator (from the middle of a 4-door system) as, well, an isolator?? Sound feasible??

Yep - I have an aircraft stylee isolating switch and a standard window rocker switch. The aircraft switch also isolates the winch, not just the in car switch via a can solenoid.

Works for me!

Is it possible to use the electric window switches for this??

What I was thinking was a normal window up-down for the winch control and the rear window isolator (from the middle of a 4-door system) as, well, an isolator?? Sound feasible??

Don't see any reason why not. As long as the isolator switch has a single pole on/off bit somewhere... best uise a multimeter to work out which pins to connect cos you definately won't need all of them!

Again, with the window upy downy switch, just use a multimeter to work out which connection is the common "ground" and which get connected in up or down mode. Does any of that make sense????

Once you have established which 3 connections you need to use, wire 'em up to the solenoids and away ya go... in theory! :lol:

Dan :)

Using the amazing powers of microsoft Word, I've knocked up this simplified diagram. Looks ok to me, but I'm sure someone will squeam and squeam and squeam if I've got it wrong!! :D:lol:

winchwiring.jpg

I think your earth connection should be a live. At least IIRC that's how my albright is.

mine was easy ................ just fit one of these............. :i-m_so_happy:

DSCF0343Medium.JPG

DSCF0354Medium.JPG

This gives you full proportional control of the winch with just a simplistic lever movement, unlike the the solutions above that just give on/off and leave you to guess the amount of run-on :ph34r::hysterical:

Ian

:hysterical:

Don't bait them Ian, they will only blow a fuse :)

Nige

Diagram from the warn manual

I get the black, white and green wires, but what are the brown and red for and how would you add them into the switches. Can you ignore them?

post-2469-1173194600_thumb.jpg

mine was easy ................ just fit one of these............. :i-m_so_happy:

DSCF0343Medium.JPG

DSCF0354Medium.JPG

This gives you full proportional control of the winch with just a simplistic lever movement, unlike the the solutions above that just give on/off and leave you to guess the amount of run-on :ph34r::hysterical:

Ian

Been looking into this recently, what about proportional external control the navigator? remote lever pull/push via a cable? an electric solenoid is on or off but what about PWM control? http://www.axiomatic.com/fluidpower.html

Wireless proportional control? R/C car remote? :unsure:

Just bouncing some ideas round.. or is this making something simple overly complex? :lol: