Full width intercoolers

madmatt

Ok folks its raiuning outside and I'm trawling the net to cure the boredom! I've been thinking of going down the bigger intercooler route for quite some time now. Has anyone on here fitted one?? Any good or bad comments? Adfvice on how to proceed??

Not sure wether to stump up mega bucks and go down the Jeremy Fearne/Allisport route or wether to get the full width intercooler from straight forward supplies and fit myself.

anybody fancy banging a few ideas about my vehicle is a 300TDI 130

Cheers

Matt

fit and fettle yourself

nowt to complicated on a TDI to warrant the ££ the above want.

But I'd recommend an EGT gauge before you start so you know what effects your having with FIP adjusting.

finally make sure your Radiator is ok as you'll be covering it up and could lead to cooling issues if it is past its best.

I have a 40% bigger Alisport one fitted to the engine around 115k FIP adjusted by me and an EGT gauge fitted.

improvements can be had with a standard cooler and FIP adjusting which may be worthwhile before you spend any ££

fit and fettle yourself

nowt to complicated on a TDI to warrant the ££ the above want.

But I'd recommend an EGT gauge before you start so you know what effects your having with FIP adjusting.

finally make sure your Radiator is ok as you'll be covering it up and could lead to cooling issues if it is past its best.

I have a 40% bigger Alisport one fitted to the engine around 115k FIP adjusted by me and an EGT gauge fitted.

improvements can be had with a standard cooler and FIP adjusting which may be worthwhile before you spend any ££

Thanks Tony, have to say I quite fancy at least fitting the cooler myself, was going to fit a brand new rad while I was at it as its original and i don't want to be dismantling 5 minutes after fitting cooler!!. Is FIP adjusting really a job I can do or woukld that not be better left to some one with more engineering skill last thing I won't to do is bugger up a good engine!

Matt

Ok folks its raiuning outside and I'm trawling the net to cure the boredom! I've been thinking of going down the bigger intercooler route for quite some time now. Has anyone on here fitted one?? Any good or bad comments? Adfvice on how to proceed??

Not sure wether to stump up mega bucks and go down the Jeremy Fearne/Allisport route or wether to get the full width intercooler from straight forward supplies and fit myself.

anybody fancy banging a few ideas about my vehicle is a 300TDI 130

Cheers

Matt

When i fitted an Allisport full width intercooler, I began to experience slight overheating in the summer months due to the flow of air to the rad being restricted, I replaced it with the 40% one. Also fitting one will limit your front winch options due to the lack of space behind the grill caused by fitting it.

Do the tweaks yourself, just make a note of the original settings first, so you can take it back to standard should the need arise. The EGT guage is definitely a good idea also..

When i fitted an Allisport full width intercooler, I began to experience slight overheating in the summer months due to the flow of air to the rad being restricted, I replaced it with the 40% one. Also fitting one will limit your front winch options due to the lack of space behind the grill caused by fitting it.

Do the tweaks yourself, just make a note of the original settings first, so you can take it back to standard should the need arise. The EGT guage is definitely a good idea also..

Thanks for that, Not worried about winch options have an MM in genuine LR bumper and never going to want to chop grill away to get leccy winch into smaller bumper. am interested in the comments on overheating though.

overheating is more likely to be a choked up radiator or lots of the little fins rotted away than anything to do with a bigger intercooler

take the hint offered by the temp gauge and change the rad core, they are reasonably cheap from aftermarket suppliers

Ref overheating following intercooler fitment. A tip shown to me by Jeremy Fearn (and not something carried out on lots of other big intercooler fiments I've seen) is to make sure you fit an infill blanking piece to the raditator cowl on the engine side. This ensures the fans efforts are concentrated on cooling the radiator's surface area only, rather than have the fan waste its time cooling the rad and the big empty space alongside it where the std intercooler used to live.

Kev