300tdi chassis engine mounts

Does anybody know if it's possible to fit any pre 300 engine to a 300 chassis without cutting/welding?

I've been offered a galv chassis but haven't got the right engine for it.

My intention is to fit what I've got then when I can afford a 300tdi I'll fit that.

Seeing that most people looking for an upgrade from 2.5 NA/TD or 200TDi to 300TDi you'd need to change the psoition of the mounts as otherwise the engine would sit too far back, I'd say that a 300 chassis would suit a 300TDi only.

I'm just really trying to find out if anybody has ever heard of some sort of adaptor that will allow me to use the original mounts. That way I can still fit a 300tdi when I get hold of one. Just a thought.

Russ, it's not a stupid or impossible question, so leave your coat on the door, the 300Tdi engine chassis mounts are further forward than the older 90/110 engines mounts, the 200Tdi sits further back towards the bulkhead as all earlier engines do, the 300Tdi sits more forward & above the front axle & therefore higher in the bay, I've not seen or heard/read of anyone doing a engine swap this way round, the only way to findout would be to fit the engine you have & use a R380 gearbox to suit which has the correct longer bell housing to fit to a 300Tdi when it's fitted at a later date, main things to look out for is the top of the engine to under bonnet clearance & sump to axle diff housing clearance. hope that helps :D

if you fitted the engine on the 300 chassis mounts and then used a disco bell housing that would go some way to moving to gearbox back closer to the def std position, but i expect not quite close enough.

anyone know the difference in engine mount locations 200/na/td to 300 distance apart and compare that to a def against disco bell housing it may work (but would then be too easy so i doubt it!)

Guest diesel_jim

If you fling me a PM with your email address on it, i've got several pictures taken of a 300 chassis with accurate measurements of where the engine bracket is glued on.

You could make new mountings that bolt to the engine. Although not done by me, my 300 (bolted to an LT77) is mounted on original 2.5 td chassis mountings using fabricated engine block mountings (with a hole chain drilled to allow access to the oil filter). So I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done the other way round.

I could be wrong of course :)

Mo