A bit OT: MP3 player

BogMonster

I recently fitted a Kenwood single CD/MP3 player into the 90, which has a USB inlet for memory sticks or even a small USB hard drive, so I can play MP3 music off a memory stick and get around the problem of the CD skipping on rough roads (so not entirely OT!) and having to carry a ton of CDs in the rover which get in the way or get damaged etc.

But....

I can't figure out how to get the darned thing to play the tracks in the order I want. I originally thought it must be down to the filenames because the tracks, once ripped, are in the form 01_first_track_name.mp3 and 02_second_track_name.mp3 and so on. So I put the assortment of toons onto the memory stick (some ripped from CD, some downloaded from "a certain Russian MP3 download site") and renamed them but it still plays them in the order they were in before :angry:

Does anybody know the secret to getting this to work?

Ta :)

I recently fitted a Kenwood single CD/MP3 player into the 90, which has a USB inlet for memory sticks or even a small USB hard drive, so I can play MP3 music off a memory stick and get around the problem of the CD skipping on rough roads (so not entirely OT!) and having to carry a ton of CDs in the rover which get in the way or get damaged etc.

But....

I can't figure out how to get the darned thing to play the tracks in the order I want. I originally thought it must be down to the filenames because the tracks, once ripped, are in the form 01_first_track_name.mp3 and 02_second_track_name.mp3 and so on. So I put the assortment of toons onto the memory stick (some ripped from CD, some downloaded from "a certain Russian MP3 download site") and renamed them but it still plays them in the order they were in before :angry:

Does anybody know the secret to getting this to work?

Playlists????....long shot but do you have the option to create these on your player.....if so you're sorted.

If you are using a mem stick then try putting them in files per ablum or somthing like that.

Noting wrong with the russian site been useing it for a year or so :rolleyes:

You may need a mp3 player to get the selection on music right. As the mem stick will not have a bit on it for you to select what track you want . Just get a USB mp3 player very cheap now and i have a sony one that is really good

Could it be playing it in the order they are stored in the FAT (file allocation table)?

Try re-formatting the drive and save the tracks one by one in the order you want. I reckon that will force it to play them in that order!

Si

If it's playing them by some sort of obvious order (EG by artist alphabetically) then it may be going by the MP3's ID tags (IDv2 / IDv3) in which case you need to edit the tags (there are several good freeware proggies to do this, or Winamp can do it).

It seems to play them in the order they were recorded on there I think, the track that used to be track one is still the first to play but it not by Aaron Aardvark so I think Si's suggestion may be the reason.

No idea how to do playlists but I shall investigate...