Changing a Starter on a 200TDI Defender

It is a PITA.

Did mine last week, unbolted the down pipe both ends and pushed it forwards and

down as far as I could then managed to get the starter out upwards with a lot of

jiggling and cursing. Found it best to hook two fingers in the gear housing to lift it.

It is a PITA.

Yeah, it is a PITA. I've done a few times. the starter does come out without removing the downpipe, but it's a bit of a rubixcube type job. It only comes out one way. IIRC you have to do a 3 point turn with the starter once you've removed it, and you tend to bash the brake pipes a bit., and a starter is a heavy thing to manoeuver with just your fingertips while leaning over the wing.

Also the 2 bolts and 1 nut are a bit awkward to get at. One with a ring spanner, one with a medium extension and one with a really long extension so you can move the ratchet about.

If doing it again, I'd just spend the extra time removing the downpipe and air filter bracket and stuff to reduce the general cursing.

You 100% sure it needs to come out?

Don't forget to disconnect battery or there'll be fireworks.

You'd think it'd only take me once to learn that, but no.

the more you take off the easier it is..

I removed the down pipe completely ( which meant removing the cross memeber) remove the head shield off the turbo as well.... and you should have a bit more room to play.

Yeah, it is a PITA. I've done a few times. the starter does come out without removing the downpipe, but it's a bit of a rubixcube type job. It only comes out one way. IIRC you have to do a 3 point turn with the starter once you've removed it, and you tend to bash the brake pipes a bit., and a starter is a heavy thing to manoeuver with just your fingertips while leaning over the wing.

Also the 2 bolts and 1 nut are a bit awkward to get at. One with a ring spanner, one with a medium extension and one with a really long extension so you can move the ratchet about.

If doing it again, I'd just spend the extra time removing the downpipe and air filter bracket and stuff to reduce the general cursing.

You 100% sure it needs to come out?

Don't forget to disconnect battery or there'll be fireworks.

You'd think it'd only take me once to learn that, but no.

I removed the down pipe completely ( which meant removing the cross memeber)

err, on a 200tdi defender? I didn't have to remove the cross member to remove the downpipe :huh:

Once both ends were free, it just wiggles out.

On mine you certainly do. We really tried to get that downpipe out with the engine in place. No dice.

Heat shield, what is that :lol: . You don't think these wreckers in the UK can actually send ALL of the parts with the engine...... They can't even clean things.

Anyway, I got it out. It wasn't that bad. It does squeeze up past the exhaust. I needed to remove the one support for the turbo oil feed pipe. My only tip is take the bonnet off to get at the top bolts.

It started this morning, so there is hope....

On mine you certainly do. We really tried to get that downpipe out with the engine in place. No dice.

Heat shield, what is that :lol: . You don't think these wreckers in the UK can actually send ALL of the parts with the engine...... They can't even clean things.

Anyway, I got it out. It wasn't that bad. It does squeeze up past the exhaust. I needed to remove the one support for the turbo oil feed pipe. My only tip is take the bonnet off to get at the top bolts.

It started this morning, so there is hope....

I know, I know.......I'm too late......

http://www.jojas.co.uk/starter_motor_replacement.htm

Jas

my one doesn't - - it will not come out at all - - very little movement.

- have you got the standard tubular crossmember or is it another type/style ?

err, on a 200tdi defender? I didn't have to remove the cross member to remove the downpipe :huh:

Once both ends were free, it just wiggles out.

my one doesn't - - it will not come out at all - - very little movement.

- have you got the standard tubular crossmember or is it another type/style ?

No idea, I thought it was standard - you tell me!

Pipe joint is just above the x-member. Once unbolted, it can be dropped down and swung under the gearbox and out.

post-1005-1173286112_thumb.jpg

Jas, yours should have a 2 bolt/nut flange connection there at least thats what EPC shows, my 200Tdi is a ex-2.5TD so won't be of any help as it's atotally different system.

Ahhhhh......your right .....

Sorry having a vague moment, Mines got an after market stainless system on the rear so the down pipe was probably cut to fit.

Sorry

Jas