German emmision Laws

dixe

I have a Series III 109 which is my pride and joy but due to the new emmision laws in Berlin. I may not be able to keep her on the road any more. I am thinking about changing the engine to a diesel, but I do not which one I can use which will comply with the new laws. Does any body have an idea which eingine I can fit without extensive modifications i.e. the bulkhead and Gear box. I was thinking of a Montego turbo diesel (Perkins Prima) but I dont know if this will comply.

Dixe

can you not get dispensation based on the fact it is a historic car? theres enough veteran mercs and citroens running about

if not you need to find which Euro Emissions class you are expected to meet for a car of that age to be compliant - a montego isnt going to pass as its going to be pre-euro spec IMS

The new laws are no oldtimers are allowed to drive through the city centre and I live there. It appears at the moment that no ambulances and fire engines will be allowed to be driven which do not conform to these laws. The final version of the law wil be known in June but I am being prepared for the worst. What I am trying to find out if there is a modern engine that would fit into the landrover so that I can keep on running her.

Dixe

The new laws are no oldtimers are allowed to drive through the city centre (...)

i guess we'll have to thank Al Gore and his Inconvenient Truth for that... here, we'll pay road taxes based on the co2 emissions, but no circulation limitations in the cities, yet. if they go forward with it here too, there will be a lot of buses, taxis and emergency vehicles that won't be allowed (i can only imagine the chaos it will be)

but at the same time, airplanes will still fly, humvees will still be driven in occupied countries, bombs will still explode and north america will still have v8 and v12 on the road

i'm not against reducing the co2 emissions, i'm only against the hypocrites that say we have to reduce it, but are still making tons of money with it

I have already thought about lpg but the Germans will not accept that because They go on the manufacturies values and not that of a modified system. In berlin there are not that many lpg cars running yet. In Poland it is very common though.

Dixe

• 2 weeks later...

:rolleyes: The new law has now been finalised except for the excemptions which will be comeing out in June. It looks like changing the engine will not help as all of the engines which would fit not conform to Euro standard 3. The only way out of this delima for me is to find a chassis plate from a 109 which is over 30 years old, then my I am allowed to drive 700Kms per year in the city centre.

So does anybody have a chassis plarte from a 30 year series III 109 laying around which they would be willing to send me along with a reciept for a chassis that "sold" me for the TUV (Mot). Once I have said I have fitted a older chassis I would still be able to run my car to Tesco´s in Poland every month.

For your information all cars with a foriegn number plate which do not corform to Euro standard 3 are also banned from Berlin´s city centre.

David

:rolleyes: The new law has now been finalised except for the excemptions which will be comeing out in June. It looks like changing the engine will not help as all of the engines which would fit not conform to Euro standard 3. The only way out of this delima for me is to find a chassis plate from a 109 which is over 30 years old, then my I am allowed to drive 700Kms per year in the city centre.

So does anybody have a chassis plarte from a 30 year series III 109 laying around which they would be willing to send me along with a reciept for a chassis that "sold" me for the TUV (Mot). Once I have said I have fitted a older chassis I would still be able to run my car to Tesco´s in Poland every month.

For your information all cars with a foriegn number plate which do not corform to Euro standard 3 are also banned from Berlin´s city centre.

David

how do they know what a land rover's emmission are?

do they just assume that cars over a certain age are unsuitable.

also what about commercial vehicles, are they also banned? you could make your 109 a commercial if they are allowed i should think.

sucks to live in europe it seems

how do they know what a land rover's emmission are?

do they just assume that cars over a certain age are unsuitable.

also what about commercial vehicles, are they also banned? you could make your 109 a commercial if they are allowed i should think.

sucks to live in europe it seems

the 109 is already commercial (for tax perposes) but that does not help, everything with out a cat and euro 3 is going to be banned. Itzs going to be choas here. Lots of small businness are going to have to buy new vans or just go out of bussines. Its not Europe that sucks just the Germans. The power stations can throw out as much muck as they want for the next 12 years.

Think I read something similar abut Italy baning Fiat 500s from Rome or some such city on similar grounds. Seems such bans are becoming a European trend and will no doubt reach the UK too before too long :(