18" Wheels and 'Proper' tyres

Tomcat Nev

After a fun packed Sunday of being stuck in Bourne Bottom and Haxton O i have realised that my Disco2 18" wheel and tyre combo (standard) is not nealry what i need.

Is there an 18" tyre any one has used that is much more in keeping with not being stuck? :D

I really do not want to have to have a second set of tyres as the garage is full of wheels and tyres for the racer, wheels and tyres for the Tiger and wheels and tyres for the Sunbeam Lotus!!!

Cheers

Nev

General do the new Grabber AT2 in 255/55R18 and from very very recently, 255/60R18 which is the "proper" size for Discovery 3's.

The two Freelander 2's that Autocar thrashed around the Falklands for a week were fitted with these (the 255/55R18 size) and I can confirm that they went places that I never thought a Freelander would get :)

Got through this

post-33-1173197508_thumb.jpg

and this

post-33-1173197479_thumb.jpg

Not infallible though :)

post-33-1173197532_thumb.jpg

So far, I don't know of an 18in mud terrain, if anybody does please shout! But if you are running the standard tyres then the AT2s will be a huge improvement and they look good too.

35's are a bit of a struggle on a D3 unless you resort to a Stihl saw around the wheelarches B)

post-33-1173205234_thumb.jpg

I suppose the 18in MT market for Discovery sized vehicles is tiny - on a D2 you can fit 16in wheels and benefit from a huge range of options, and even on the D3 you can fit the 17in wheels and then there is a Cooper MT that fits, though it ain't nearly wide enough to support 2.7 tons of D3 in peat, that's for sure :unsure:

what did the G4 trucks run on? wasnt the RR on MTs with either 18" or 19" rims?

As far as i know, the G4's , certainly the Sport were on Goodyear MTR 255/55/19 Muds, which are not cheap, around the £180 mark !! :o not a lot of choice with 19" rims :angry:

As far as i know, the G4's , certainly the Sport were on Goodyear MTR 255/55/19 Muds, which are not cheap, around the £180 mark !! :o not a lot of choice with 19" rims :angry:

Correct, Goodyear MTR's and they are "expensive" but...

...that's "expensive" before you factor in the cost of a set of 19in rims if you don't have them already, at which point the option becomes "eek". They may have been fitted to the G4 vehicles but the LR marketing department has got more money than most of the rest of us...

I did read somewhere a long time ago (in LRO I think) that Goodyear actually made that size MTR specially for Land Rover though I don't know whether it is true or not.

I did read somewhere a long time ago (in LRO I think) that Goodyear actually made that size MTR specially for Land Rover though I don't know whether it is true or not.

Heard that as well somewhere Stephen, 19" rims for the D3 and RRS are relativity cheap ! as most people upgrade to 20" etc,

Well,

It certainly seems like a set of Grabber AT2's will be my choice as they seem to work, are not too bad on price and mean i don't have keep changing wheels!

Shame the MT/R isn't in an 18" size though........................

You want to check fairly carefully that those will fit, as according to http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html they are 32" rather than the standard 29", so it would be v v f tight if they will go on... and I suspect they will rub on articulation.

If it was me I'd stick with the AT2s, I think a 3" increase in tyre diameter would screw up the gearing for on road use.

• 5 months later...