Series IIa "specs" in 1969

Smokydiesel

Hello,

Just bought a very nice 1969 Series IIa.

It looks nearly original, but still I’d like to learn more about the “specs” in 1969.

Things like, when did Land Rover swap the metal grill for the plastic one, when did plastic indicator lenses replace the glass ones etc.

Any idea where I can find this information ? any good internet sites or books ?

Cheers,

Edwin.

Plastic grills came in with the start of S3 production in Sept 1971, but as with all things Land Rover there was often a lag in introducing new bits till all the old was used up, I know that in New Zealand I've seen S2a Land Rovers with a 1972 build date but still with wire grills & other typically SIIa features, ie door hinges & dash bords etc. It could be that assembly of CKD packs here lagged behind the intro of the S3 for the home market. Sorry, can't help with the lamp lenses other that to say that every S3 I've seen has had plastic lenses , all that I've been aware of anyway, & I know that my 71 SIIa had plastic lenses too.I've also seen many late SIIas updated with a non original S3 plastic grill.

HTH, Cheers, Steve.

...which can be quite tricky to track down, there's some on ebay atm for almost £40...

I managed to get a stainless copy of one at the last Sodbury after about 6 hours of searching, good though :) ... and then saw 3 'real' ones on my way out! Doesn't that *always* happen at Sodbury though! :rolleyes::lol:

when did plastic indicator lenses replace the glass ones etc.

Hi Edwin,

Try the Series Two Club webiste - look at teh history page, it will give you some idea of changes.

Failing that, you could ask on their forum as well.

Although, as has already been mentioned ^, there is no such thing as a firm cutoff date with Land Rovers..... ;)

I might be wrong, but i dont think that glass sidelight lenses were a production item on anything after the 80". I have a late (53') 80" which has wing mounted glass side lights, i also have a 1955 107" and a 1957 109" series one's and neither of them have glass lenses other than the headlights.

I might be wrong, but i dont think that glass sidelight lenses were a production item on anything after the 80". I have a late (53') 80" which has wing mounted glass side lights, i also have a 1955 107" and a 1957 109" series one's and neither of them have glass lenses other than the headlights.

As they say they're all different. My '62 109 2A has glass sidelights which always seemed in keeping.

actually, I have one hanging up in the garage that I might be persuaded to part with... :rolleyes:

Mark

Hi Mark,

Might be interested in your spare grill but I do live across "the big water" (Holland) so shipping it over here will probably make it a bit (too) expensive......

Cheers,

Edwin.

Hi Mark,

Not sure about the Sortout myself, but some friends of mine might want to go.

Will check that out and come back to you if they do decide to visit Newbury….

Are we allowed to talk “prices” here in public ? if not, do send me a PM or email me with the price you have in mind.

Edwin.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a 11a about ten years ago, which had been fitted with the plastic series 3 grille. Hated it! I was looking around in a scrapyard and found that I was standing on a late ('68 - '71) galvanised one! No Landys of any description anywhere near! The bloke in charge said 'Have it, mate. No good to me.' Was I pleased? Oh yes. Mind you, it was ten years ago. They were fairly scarce even then though.