Fuel Problem

siearl

All

Think i might have a bit of a problem. I was messing around on a grass verge earlier and when i got home noticed that there was a smell of fuel and around the filler cap and sides there was marks of fuel overflowing, Tank was very very full.

I have since been back out and underneath on the tank there is marks of where fuel had flowed down the side underneath the tank and there was a little spillage on the ground.

Could this just be from being over filled and then playing around, as i am sure i have read this is common.

Land rover is a 110 defender V8

Mmmm, Think this needs to be put in a better way,, :o

yeah was badly worded. I have just been out and had a proper look at it and can someone tell me if what i am thinking is right.

It looks like it is slowly coming out of the join between, the joining of the two tanks. Is there a seal between the two halves.

yeah was badly worded. I have just been out and had a proper look at it and can someone tell me if what i am thinking is right.

It looks like it is slowly coming out of the join between, the joining of the two tanks. Is there a seal between the two halves.

The two halves are welded together.

My old tank leaked there recently, which, so I believe, is a common failure point. I'm told repairs are possible, depending on how bad the leak and cause is.

However, someone vastly more intelligent than me also diagnosed a similar leakage problem as a blocked breather pipe, so get that checked first.

No mine is purely leaking from the cap (old series 3-lug type) and only running down the side. However, whilst welding up the crossmember on my brothers TDi we discovered the tank was leaking, the leak turned out to be coming from the seam at the point where the mounting bracket is. The carp which constantly built up on the bracket rusted the joint, expanding the seam and causing the leak, in the end we just replaced the tank for a new one as there cheap enough.

No mine is purely leaking from the cap (old series 3-lug type) and only running down the side. However, whilst welding up the crossmember on my brothers TDi we discovered the tank was leaking, the leak turned out to be coming from the seam at the point where the mounting bracket is. The carp which constantly built up on the bracket rusted the joint, expanding the seam and causing the leak, in the end we just replaced the tank for a new one as there cheap enough.

that is the nail knocked on the head that is exactly where it is leaking from, not massivily, will see about pricing up new tank now

Remember to drain the tank & disconnect the fuel gauge transmitter unit before dropping the tank off, obtain a new seal [part number PRC5862] ready for the refit.

Thanks Ralph,

THink i might be employing the expertise of a certain Mr Bates in this