sat nav/gps

russ3120

Not sure if this in the right place

I am looking to get a sat nav for greenlaning, i know the normal girly car ones dont do dirt tracks.

Can anyone recomend one, if there is such a thing?

Russ

OziExplorer or CompeGPS Land, together with calibrated maps or satellite images of the places you visit

or Google Earth Plus and an internet connection, that allows you to track your gps position on google earth, in real-time

Memory-Map is the most popular and gets my vote. You would need a PDA or Laptop to run it on though. You can pland and save tracks on the PC/Laptop version and then uplaod maps and routes to the PDA. At the end of a days greenlaning you can download your journey back to the PC and save it for future reference. It works really well and is easy to use. GLASS's Wayfinder database can also be imported into Memory-Map.

You could always install a road navigation application on the PDA as well such as TomTom. For the GPS I'd reccomend a Bluetooth Receiver.

Reviews of all are on our website.

Agree that a PDA with MemoryMap and TomTom is the way to go.

If your PDA runs Windows Mobile 5, it has a neat little app which lets you share the GPS connection between two apps - so you can have TomTom and MM running at the same time.

MM is pretty useless for navigating on the road. A full OS map has too much detail to comprehend while you are driving which is where the simplified mapping and turn by turn automatic navigation of TomTom really comes into its own. Green Laning is a different matter where you are going slowly enough to be able to safely use MM to check that you are actually on the track - and for that, it's brilliant.

A 1/2Gb card will be enough for TomTom UK and a few MM maps to cover the area you are currently in (rather than keeping the whole UK loaded).

A 4Gb card is enough for TT Europe and the whole UK in 1:50k on MM and still have enough for your favorite MP3's.

Most people either use Bluetooth GPS's (so long as your PDA has Bluetooth) or one built in to a card. There are several types which you can stick in to an SD of CF card slot on the top of your PDA. Unless the GPS includes it's own storage card built in (many do), you of course loose one slot.

I recently bought an Asus A639 which has a built in GPS and have found it pretty good. In fact the only critisism I have is the audio is a bit quiet & it's impossible to hear the voice instructions in a Defender!

Si

In fact the only critisism I have is the audio is a bit quiet & it's impossible to hear the voice instructions in a Defender!

Get a FM transmiter that plugs into the headphone socket on the PDA then you can listen to your favorite MP3's and TomTom will interupt with directions when required.

I picked up one of the £99 naman pin570's from Halfords which now I've put a £7.99 external ariel on seems to work a treat. Its not the newest model but for the money it got me started, the road nav is ok and as it runs pocket pc I can add Memory map to it next.

Get a FM transmiter that plugs into the headphone socket on the PDA then you can listen to your favorite MP3's and TomTom will interupt with directions when required.

OK, another critisism is that the audio jack is covered up by the in car holster - so you can't plug a Tx in. It is however a good excuse to buy a bluetooth audio adaptor & wire it in to the car - perhaps even make a BT to FM Tx adaptor!

Si

Not sure if this in the right place

I am looking to get a sat nav for greenlaning, i know the normal girly car ones dont do dirt tracks.

Can anyone recomend one, if there is such a thing?

Russ

I have a 12 volt computer with 8" screen that has every greenlane, BOAT, RUPP (I know) and ORPA in England and Wales including fords.

It obviously has GPS and the smallest scale is 1-50000. The lanes are colour coded which you can set to whatever colour you want.

It contains information about a lot of the lanes but not all. However, you can input data once have driven a lane and it is compatible with CRAGs track explorer and wayfinder. Unortunately to get track explorer you need to join CRAG.

I got it from West Mid 4x4