steering hydro assist

robhybrid

Had a look on pirate couldnt see any pictures of a tapped 4 bolt land rover box.

Thing is I know I have seen it on the net somwhere but I cant find it now.

Already had a go drilling and tapping a scrap 4 bolt box and didnt have any problem on clearance from inernal gubbins but I am a bit concerned about potentially wreking a 6 month old steering box.

Another thing is an aluminium end cap going to be strong enough to hold the thread of a 1/4" bsp fitting without stripping when under hydraulic pressure?

I bought a Straight Forward S.. ram, have not fitted it, and would not recommend you buy one. Its a 40mm piston with a 200mm length cylinder you could source one alot cheaper yourself, it comes with some drilled plate and a couple of big bolts, no bushes of any description. Rakeway make one, slightly smaller piston IIRC but comes with rod ends, niiiiiiice.

Rakeway will covert your box they just drill and tap either end of the main cylinder, one end of which is the blanking plug, sounds like that is what you've already done. If you want some reasurance or advice give Rakeway a call.

I'm hopefully going to get the ends of my ram machined to take Panhard rod bushes.

Andy

While I don't give a damn.

I didn't tap the box as such, I took the top off the box and opened out the bleed screw hole, the other fitting I used a hydraulic compression fitting into the pipe which runs around the outside of the box. This removes the need to remove the box from the chassis at all.

The clue is in the name - hydraulic assist it uses fluid pressure from the steering box to move a hydraulic ram connected to the steering arm, adds assistance / takes load off of the stock steering box.

Yep - you'd be surprised how easily you can twist / shear a sector shaft and how heavy the steering can be when running big tyres.

While I don't give a damn.

I didn't tap the box as such, I took the top off the box and opened out the bleed screw hole, the other fitting I used a hydraulic compression fitting into the pipe which runs around the outside of the box. This removes the need to remove the box from the chassis at all.

Dave Lama is sorting me out some fittings so that in theory I dont have to modify the box at all.

Although I am tempted to slightly open up the hole in the bottom of the bleed screw hole but I am temted to try it first.

Yep - you'd be surprised how easily you can twist / shear a sector shaft and how heavy the steering can be when running big tyres.

I have twisted a shaft in the past so have a number of other challenge competitors that I know.

I am hoping that this will be a solution.

The clue is in the name - hydraulic assist it uses fluid pressure from the steering box to move a hydraulic ram connected to the steering arm, adds assistance / takes load off of the stock steering box.

So a secondary system to normal power steering then, but using the same pump for fluid?