ball joints

gav-

ok,

can someone explain how you test whether a steering ball joint is knackered? is it?

you grip the steering track rod and can easily rotate it 45ish degrees in the radial direction.

or, its hard to rotate, or you can actually feel play in the ball joint (i think i have that one covered!)

cheers

gav

ok,

can someone explain how you test whether a steering ball joint is knackered? is it?

you grip the steering track rod and can easily rotate it 45ish degrees in the radial direction.

or, its hard to rotate, or you can actually feel play in the ball joint (i think i have that one covered!)

cheers

gav

Its knackered if the rod it screws into moves and the eye the taper goes into doesn't. Basically the two items connected by the ball joint must move as one. When they are worn there is slack between the components. May only be a small amount of visible slack. Get someone to rock the steering wheel while you look at the joint under a strong light.

There is permissable play in the ball joint due to an internal spring. This allows circulation of grease and therefore the longevity of the joint. A split in the rubber boot that surrounds the joint is normally what causes the joint to fail because it lets the grease out, and water/grit in. A split boot is at present just an MOT advisory, as long as there is no play in the joint itself. If you compress the joint and then release - it should return under the spring tension. If the joint is worn, then it would feel sloppy (they rarely seize up). It would click if you pushed/pulled it. A split boot may still pass the MOT, but for around £7, you should replace it asap anyway.

The spring is evident - bottom right in this picture of a drop-arm ball joint kit.

med_gallery_2_214_643728.jpg

In position.

med_gallery_2_214_587966.jpg

Les.