Insa Turbo Special Track

Orange

I took delivery of a spankers set of 235/85/16s on Tuesday and have just had them fitted to my set of Disco steel rims....only problem is, they wouldn't balance!! Has anyone else had problems, or is it more likely to be the wheel that's slightly out of shape?

Any experience of this occurrence?? I have heard that a lot of people run their MTs without balancing them, anyway, as the weights get knocked off...any truth in that??

TIA

Adrian

Guest WALFY

Adrian

I run my MTs on Disco rims and a set of Simex on modulars neither set is balanced and I get no vibration through the drivetrain. I suppose it's horses for courses. Some swear by balancing others don't.

You'll of probably of seen my orange 90 on New Hythe Lane every now and again.

What do you mean by "wouldnt balance"?

Most Tyre balancing machines I've used go upto 999gram on the scale, and most MT tyre's I've balanced have come within this range, even on knackered rims. Those that dont I just use the old fashioned method of spinning the tyre and seeing where it stops, then clout the heavy area with a mallet, then spin again untill it comes within the 999gram range of the machine

Most of the G90's I've fitted for Wolf's were over 1kg out of balance. I wouldnt say that the balance issue is exclusive to remoulds, just large tyres

I wont be balancing my Simex as they dont fit in the machine, I dont expect any issues but the car wont be doing much (if any) road miles. Bear in mind that most truck and bus tyre arent balanced and they suffer no problems

In the past for NVH development cars I have had to balance the wheel and the tyre - i.e. find the rotational positioning of the tyre on the rim where no balance wieghts are required. That is a very long and tedius process :angry:

Lewis :)

In the past for NVH development cars I have had to balance the wheel and the tyre - i.e. find the rotational positioning of the tyre on the rim where no balance wieghts are required. That is a very long and tedius process :angry:

Lewis :)

a touch of understatement there perhaps?

I've just picked up a set of Insa turbo Saharas today, our neighbour who runs a tyre fitting place put them on the rims for me, They couldn't balance them, as they were over 400G out of balance... and the lead would just get knocked off.....

I've never bothered getting any of my mud tyres balanced, as there would be so many weights on the rim they would just end up getting knocked off, and as soon as you've got mud stuck to the wheel its out of balance again :rolleyes: .

My Fedima Extreme's mounted on Matt Lee Mach 5's were perfectly fine crusing at 70-75mph all the way down through France in the summer.

Buzz.

The guys said that they were over 200g out of balance both inside and outside the rim, if that means anything?? I guess it means that they are 400+g out in total.

I spoke to them again after reading a few of the replies that you guys have posted. They informed me that they didn't feel comfortable putting that amount of weight on a wheel/tyre combination. I can respect that as it's them I'd go back to if there were problems!!

They are my regular tyre company that we have used for years and have never had any problems with them in the past!!

FWIW I've got a pound of lead (well 4 off 125g) of some of my wheels. Recent set balanced great and the first set had to be balanced to make the truck drivable.

Guess if you can live with them without the balancing fine but mines a DD and steering shake aside my wheel bearings have a short enough life already.

med_gallery_169_184_183697.jpg

I went for these, rather than the special tracks.... might go for the special tracks later on, they don't do them in 'my size' at the moment, and I don't want to chop the arches just yet...

these do look pretty good though, nice deep tread...

med_gallery_169_184_183697.jpg

I went for these, rather than the special tracks.... might go for the special tracks later on, they don't do them in 'my size' at the moment, and I don't want to chop the arches just yet...

these do look pretty good though, nice deep tread...

What are those?

What are those?

That tread pattern is avaliable from a number of different manufacturers, Fedima Extreme, Greenway Macho, (something) Sahara. There are more, I just can't remember them, I'm sure the others will. Their a great tyre, I'm sure Freeagent will enjoy his new set.

Buzz.

What are those?

they are Insa turbo sahara's...

they are only 235/70's but look considerably bigger, in fact, look more like 245/75's.... can't wait to try them out... pretty good for £45 per corner inc VAT and delivery.. got really deep tread, looks over 20mm across some of it...