LED Light Units

madmatt

Matt

What's wrong with just fitting LED bulbs to your existing lights.

mike

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!

I don't bother getting the tee shirt

Hi Mike,

I want to replace my rear light units not sure if you have seen the ones on my 130 they are the rubbolite transit style oblong jobs and are knackered plastic clips broke and bulb holders worn. thats the reason for replacing. The light units I was looking at yesterday which were purpose made LED units seemed much brighter and visible than conventional. hence the train of thought.

I think now I'll look at NAS units and get LED bulbs to go in these its a bit of a bugger as there isn't much room on back of the hi-cap tub so I'll be struggling to keep 2 reverse and 2 fog lights will probably have to resort to the old landy style of fog onside and reverse on the other. :ph34r:

Cheers

Matt

There was a useful thread on the D90 Source last year on this subject. East Coast Rovers in the US have now put together a neat LED kit for the Defender. Far nicer than those naff River Runner things!

On their website you'll note that ECR say their's are not the 'cheaper' Perei lamps, because they don't seal correctly. It doesn't say whose lamps they DO use, but on the original D90 forum thread, ECR told members they were from Flexible Lamps (Previously known as Rubbolite) in the UK. I priced some up last year at my local commerical vehicle factors are they were around £40.00 per unit IIRC.

One neat feature of the ECR kit is they supply a new flasher relay that fixes the LED fast flash problem without messing around with inline resistors and such. Did a bit of digging and discovered the relay you want is a three pin flasher unit. VWP product number is RFL9: VWP price is £10.71, but probably cheaper elsewhere.

Whatever LED's you go for, it's a useful thing to know.

The new relay is a straight swap for the existing OE flasher unit. The only downside with this relay is the trailer flasher warning lamp will no longer operate.

Hope this info helps.

Kev

I found these on ebay and they seem like the simpleist option if you wish to fit NAS lamps to pre 300 models and at around £40 its not that bad IMHO. They also do lots of other NAS options and even some LED lights although they look a litle naff i think.

NAS lights on ebay

slightly random question, but still on topic: can I fit a LED bulb into a military style glass screw on cap? I am thinking of using these lights to provide a more bash friendly setup, ie not having to carry a load of lenses every time I go for a play.

daan

Just a small point what does the law say about fitting LED bulbs??

Heard a mate say he failed a MOT due to LED bulbs!

Chris

I've had led bulbs in the brake lights for the 90 for the last 3 years with no probs.