Southdown Tank Guard Issues??

Mark

Am trying to fit a Southdown Tank Guard to my Disco...

The guard came off a certain other forumeer's rangie, so I know it is not the disco one specifically, but I thought they were the same?

However, when I try and put the guard in place, there seems to be a large lump of fuel tank in the way:

gallery_92_191_21242.jpg

This is stopping the guard going far enough up:

The mounting holes in the side are nowhere near

gallery_92_191_66398.jpg

and the fornt end is really very low

gallery_92_191_80324.jpg

Note, in all the pictures above, the rear two bolts that pick up on the tow bar mounting points are done up completely.

My intitial reaction is to wonder if a V8 rangie has a different shape tank to a 200TDI disco - I can only assume so..

Does the panel think I would be OK to cut the front 4" off the guard, from about an 1" infront of the first fold?

I want to use the guard as a tow bar still as well as a tank guard, so I don't want to compromise the strength too much...

As an aside, does anyone know what these holes mount to?

gallery_92_191_34384.jpg

Cheers

Mark

:ph34r: don't cut it up - buy a disco one and we'll call that one my birthday present :ph34r:

On a serious note - what Lewis says seems to work in my head. To get some more strength back into it you could weld some plates into the gap that is created by removing the fold.

Plastic tanks are the same on V8 rangies and 200TDi discos, on the outside at least.

When Dave makes these guards he sells them without the side holes drilled as Landrover tollerances :lol: are such that they would never line up. You will have to redrill them for your vehicle.

The rear holes are for, and I quote Dave, "extreme recoveries" as they give you a six bolt fixing. You have to weld on tubular mounts the same as the ones further rearward on the chassis. Completely unnecessary in my opinion. Just ask anyone how stuck I have been in my Rangie :ph34r: and I never had a problem being pulled out on four bolts.

When I fitted my guard I had to adjust it a fair bit with a lump hammer (by the way, wear ear defenders when you do it, it don't half clang!! :lol: ) to clear the fuel tank. I would go down that route before cutting lumps off it. Adjust it too much though and you'll foul your rear diff guard.... ask me how I know!

Good luck - only a week to go!!

Guest diesel_jim
I suppose the only way to find out is to call Dave at Southdown and ask..... :rolleyes:

Bish.... we need to meet up and swap that autobox cooler over sometime! i've not forgotten, just been chasing my tail at work all week! :rolleyes:

Plastic tanks are the same on V8 rangies and 200TDi discos, on the outside at least.

Yep, they are Bish, but the earlier Rangie had a steel tank same as the 110 - which has a different profile to the plastic tank. From the fit of the guard I would guess that it was from a vehicle which had a steel tank on it - hence the reason why it won't fit the Disco.

Matt

Honestly, I'd rather not cut it up, but I can't afford to go and buy a shiney new one from Southdown... :(

I am not afraid of the adjustment with a trusty lump hammer, but this really dosen't fit! I realise the holes will be drilled for the previous owners motor, and that I am likely to need to adjust their position, but as it is currently, the sides of the guard don't come high enough to get the holes through the metal!

I would like the tank guard on for 7Sisters, but I need the tow bar by easter. If anyone has a disco one and wants to swap or sell, before then, let me know, and I will hold off butchering this one. My opinion is that the front edge of the tank is pretty much out of harms way, so won't lose out on the pretection front. What I am concerned about is losing strength when it is used as the basis for the tow bar...

Any more comments of offers of the correct tank guard muchly appreciated!! :)

Cheers

Mark

Oh yeah, note that I already had to weld new tubes on cos the old tow bar bolts were rusted into the old tubes... :angry:

I have the same problem - are the tubes available to buy or did you fab them? (Unfortunately I don't have access to a lathe so I am thinking of trying to buy)

Rog

Rog, I mde those ones up, but it's hardly what I would call fabriccation, and the lathe didn't get a look in!

I cut upwards on the inside of the plates, through the tube (and the bolts) with a grinder and then got a friend to cut the tubes off with a gas-axe. Then I just cut two lengths of tube with a 12mm ID to fit the gap and welded them in. Buy just doing the tube the position remains the same, and you can just put a bolt through to hold the new tube in place while it is welded.

Hope that helps :)

Mark

ps. The tank guard is going to be attacked with the grinder today, unless anyone shouts with a better idea/offer of the correct unit! ;)

Rog, I mde those ones up, but it's hardly what I would call fabriccation, and the lathe didn't get a look in!

I cut upwards on the inside of the plates, through the tube (and the bolts) with a grinder and then got a friend to cut the tubes off with a gas-axe. Then I just cut two lengths of tube with a 12mm ID to fit the gap and welded them in. Buy just doing the tube the position remains the same, and you can just put a bolt through to hold the new tube in place while it is welded.

Hope that helps :)

Mark

ps. The tank guard is going to be attacked with the grinder today, unless anyone shouts with a better idea/offer of the correct unit! ;)

Hi Mark

Have just taken one off my disco...http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...st&p=129432.. I also have the tow attachment complete. I was going to ebay it but if there is a reasonable offer ;)

its even still got the original black paint on it (well mostly) :D

my mob is 07720 262 978 , but am just off to work so pls txt if u is intrestid

Lawrence

To answer the question about affecting the strength for towing if you cut part of the front of the guard out, I would say that it will have no affect. The loads from the towing asembly are transferred into the chassis via the bolts so theoretically you could cut the guard right off just forward of the chassis rail bolts and not affect towing capacity significantly.

Please note this is an opinion and carries no warranty neither expressed nor implied! :lol:

Mark,

i was speaking/emailing with Dave on some other issues and mentioned you were having a spot of bother, his email repsonse was:

I have not made that one for atleast 7 years. I have just tried to join the forum to put the guy out of his misery, but it won't let me post yet.

The guard is definately for an early steel tank Rangie. The guards we make now will fit both steel and plastic tanks.

The main difference being that the plastic tanks hang about 30 to 40 mm lower along their length. Even if the guard is cut along the line indicated it will still not go up far enough. Depending on how far up the guard can be jacked, it may be necessary to add some material to the side plates in order to drill a hole with some meat around it to match up with the new tubes on the chassis rails.

The second problem may be that the plate that butts up to the base of the chassis rear X member may not sit at the correct angle.

The tab at the back of the guard will have to be bent to match the X member. However, what ever is done the Drop Plate is going to be at a Strange Angle.

Now this is all very well, but please bear in mind ; if this for off road protection and recovery 'Fine'. But if you going to tow a 3 tonne Ifor Williams or Large Caravan, best leave it till a better solution comes along. A trailer going AWOL with a piece of 5 & 10mm flailing about on the front of it might just get you in trouble with the Old Bill.

Hopefully moderators dont consider this as spam and take it as an answer to your problem/proposed solution.

I hope this helps.

I'm a mod, and I don't consider it spam!!! :)

James, thanks for taking the trouble to post that, and to talk to dave.

I have managed to get it to fit, but I am not very happy with it. Since I do intend to tow on it, I am also looking at putting a better solution in place...

Thanks for the comments guys.

Cheers

Mark

Thought I would update this with the photos...

I decided that since I wanted it on, I would trim the front edge a bit:

gallery_92_191_80260.jpg

The black line I have added on top of the pen line I drew! I took the sides to in front of the extra mounting holes so that the extra mounting option remained:

gallery_92_191_91056.jpg

So in the end it looks like this fitted:

gallery_92_191_1033.jpg

which to be honest is a bit low for my liking, and I now understand why - the correct guard has another fold in it, as the plastic tank hangs down in different places.

Chopping the front off meant that it cleared enough to get it to fit better than before:

gallery_92_191_78782.jpg

and

gallery_92_191_76769.jpg

but as I said, I do want to be able to tow off this, so I am going to attempt to get the correct guard for this tank...

Thanks for the help chaps

Cheers

Mark

James, Thanks for getting my post up.

Mark,

It doesn't look as bad as I thought it might!!

If you extended the front mounts so as they could be bolted to the chassis at the axle end, and filled up the holes beneath the ones you have drilled with weld you will have done the trick.

How much side plate is left above the new hole? If less than 20mm add a bit.

By removing the front section of the guard it obviously leaves a bit of tank exposed, if you decide to extend the front mounts you could add enough material to rejoin the piece you cut off to cover the tank again.

Being so close to the axle it is less likely to ground out anyway, worst scenario being full suspension compression.

By doing this not only will it give you the added strength for towing but also stop the guard being forced into the tank on hard grounding.

If you do the above you will have covered all angles and it should be fit for towing.

What sort of weights are you thinking of towing? I always try to over engineer this guards in the event of trailers with bad breaks. At the end of the day if your brakes are up to spec you should be OK.

Hope you guys don't mind me joining the forum, if there is any advise I can give I am always happy to do so.

Dave, Southdown.

Mark,

looks like it will scoop alot of much up into there with the new front leading edge and it doesn't cover the whole of the tank but at least it does provide you with a tow attachment point. i think you last line is prob the best way forward and IMHO Dave would be the man to supply it, i personally wouldnt bother with some of the other not so HD guards about.

edited to add: err added before Dave replied - hwo that happen then, Mods hiding first posts?