sailsbury axle

Guest diesel_jim

Yes, it can be fitted. it literally just bolts up in place of where the existing rover type axle used to live.

however, you'll need to shorten the propshaft by 1 3/4" (thats 1 and 3/4") as the nose of the salisbury is longer than the rover axle.

benifits?

• stronger
  • beefier (AKA stronger)
  • better rear brakes (be it 11" drums or bigger discs, depending on age of axle)

downside?

• reduced ground clearance as the diff unit is bigger than the rover item (although see Andy Marshallsay's red ibex tech article on how to "shave" the salisbury casing down by an inch or so)
  • more "unsprung weight", although not really noticable on a 90. i've never noticed it on the 90's i've had with salisburies)
  • have a laugh and fit 205x16's with a salisbury and use a feeler guage to measure the ground clearance!!! :D:D

Springs are different (larger on the salisbury I believe) and the diff nose is longer so you would need a shorter rear prop (you may find a stock one to fit or have to get a custom one made) the salisbury diff is almost indestructible (this is what you are gaining) but you lose maybe 1" ground clearance at the lowest point unless you shave the diff as Andy did on his Ibex.

Guest diesel_jim
Springs are different (larger on the salisbury I believe) a

You're right on that Fridge, but you just unbolt the 110 lower spring mounting plate thing and bolt on the "90/disco/rangie" sized one and away you go.

Guest diesel_jim

Standard salisburies arn't limited slip, neither are the "rover" type axle (this is what is fitted to the back of 90's/disco 1 & 2, RR classic)

limited slip is an ingenious mixture of gears, some friction plates and some special oil.

there can be mechanical limited slip diffs, or viscous differentials.

viscous when one wheel (the one with less grip) starts to spin faster than the other one (the other one being the one with more grip) the special oil gets thicker due to the friction (rub the palms of your hands together... feel the heat? this is due to friction) the thicker oil causes resistance between the friction plates, and as each set of plates are attached to the halfshafts of each wheel, it causes the differention unit to act less like a differential and more like a "locked" diff.

mechanical limited slip these differentials are normally more "locked" than "unlocked", when you go round a bend (and cause the outer wheel to travel further and thus faster than the inside wheel) the diff is forced to "unlock" itself apparently sometimes with assosciated clunks and bangs. When off road, there isn't always as much "force" on each wheel compared to when you're driving in a circle on tarmac and have the weight of the vehicle forcing "grip" on the outside wheel, so the differential reverts to it's "more locked" state and offers more grip to both wheels.

make some kind of sense? hope so, because i've drunk too much tonight to make it any simpler! :lol: