Swivel Eyes

LRS

I have these fitted to my winch bumper and personally I wouldn't bother, I only fitted them cos the bumper had big holes to fit them. A loop of thick bar properly welded on is better IMHO, and cheaper.

Thanks, Mark, I have a standard bumper and thought of fitting a set of eyes on the adapters to save me having to root round in the mud to to get at the JATE rings.

Having seen the cost, I'm having second thoughts!

Phil.

The problem with the ones pictured above is that they rely on one M10 bolt as the shackle pin, they also seize very quickly and stop rotating, there are a few like this on the market, from firstfour, rebel, etc

Kenson make something similar but use a rated shackle to swivel, IIRC they are greaseable too. QT and Bearmach sell these same thing too. I've never used them myself but I have other Kenson products and have been happy with the quality and service

Another swivelly option would be the ones available from Discoparts, these have a pin that fits through the jacking points in the rear crossmember, I wouldnt like to use these personally, and would refuse to recover a vehicle from these as they rely on the strength of the ends of the rear crossmember and whilst the swivelly things look sunstantial I'm not sure that the same could be said for most defender chassis

For information about recovery points there are a few usefull posts in the tech archive

Hope this helps

Lewis :)

The problem with the ones pictured above is that they rely on one M10 bolt as the shackle pin, they also seize very quickly and stop rotating, there are a few like this on the market, from firstfour, rebel, etc

Kenson make something similar but use a rated shackle to swivel, IIRC they are greaseable too. QT and Bearmach sell these same thing too. I've never used them myself but I have other Kenson products and have been happy with the quality and service

Another swivelly option would be the ones available from Discoparts, these have a pin that fits through the jacking points in the rear crossmember, I wouldnt like to use these personally, and would refuse to recover a vehicle from these as they rely on the strength of the ends of the rear crossmember and whilst the swivelly things look sunstantial I'm not sure that the same could be said for most defender chassis

For information about recovery points there are a few usefull posts in the tech archive

Hope this helps

Lewis :)

Humm, thanks both, I think I might be better forgetting about these and sticking with the JATE rings!

Phil.

You might find THIS in the Technical Archive worth a read as it covers recovery points.

Had a look through that article, thanks, it's useful stuff. Shame about the swivel eye/adapter in a way because it looks to provide well-placed recovery points. Too expensive though, in my opinion, and I am concerned about strength. I think I'll stick with the JATE rings I have and try to remember to put the bridle on before getting stuck!

Phil.

stick with the JATE rings and fit a bridle before you go out.....

The swivel recovery points look nice, but i'd have concerns about strength.........

They do look good, there's a picture in the current LRO of a vehicle fitted with them which is partly what prompted my interest, also the fact they're easier to get at than JATE rings. I asked about them because I wondered whether the bumper mounting's strong enough and I'd be concerned the swivel eye would pull-through the bracket. As ever, I'm sure suppliers wouldn't sell these things if they weren't sure of them, and I'd be interested to hear from people who've used them.

Phil.