3 different head gaskets - 200 Tdi

A new question again... But since this is the forum with the highest degree of know-how, it's also the place to ask about the tricky matters. I do however try to contribute whenever I can. :)

The 200 Tdi engines use, as some may know, three different head gaskets depending on the protrusions of the pistons. The big Q is - does it really matter that much in real life? Can't I just get away with the thickest one and still be quite happy with the performance? Or, will the slightly lower compression be noticed?

Nope, I'm renewing among other things all the bearings on the crank. Which as the book says, might "disturb" the protrusion of the slugs. The old pistons are however meant to go back, just changing the rings and dressing up the bores.

By using the thickest gasket, I could order all necessary parts in one go, not having to wait a couple of weeks for a gasket after having measured properly. ;)

Nope, I'm renewing among other things all the bearings on the crank. Which as the book says, might "disturb" the protrusion of the slugs. The old pistons are however meant to go back, just changing the rings and dressing up the bores.

By using the thickest gasket, I could order all necessary parts in one go, not having to wait a couple of weeks for a gasket after having measured properly. ;)

Lars, use the thickest gasket - bottom line is you won't notice any real difference.

Matt

I thought the thickness of gasket depended on how far the pistons protruded when fully extended., so therefore if the gasket is not thick enough - say goodbye to your head.

Thanks, probably what I expected. The difference compared to my present 2,5 n/a will most likely be noticed anyway. :D

Guest WALFY

IIRC 3 hole is the thickest you can get. I have heard of most dealerships just fitting the 3 hole gasket cos they can't be bothered to correctly measure piston protusion. At the end of the day the only difference it'll make is to reduce the compression by a miniscule amount.HTH

Each hole or notch is worth 0.1mm and there's no way new shells will be that much different - they would nip the crank journal and lock it up. If you are not skimming the head or block deck, and are using the old pistons, then I would use the same thickness head gasket as before.

Les.

200Tdi & 300Tdi cylinder head gasket sizes

1 hole 1.30mm ----- ERR5261 for piston protrusion between 0.50 to 0.60mm

2 hole 1.40mm ----- ERR5262 --------------------------------- 0.61 to 0.70mm

3 hole 1.50mm ----- ERR5263 --------------------------------- 0.71 to 0.80mm

NO holes 1.60mm -- ERR7154 ------------ if higher than 0.80mm use the NO HOLE gasket.

Hope that explains better :i-m_so_happy:

Tony Please add to Technical Archive

Edited by Les Henson

And not use the latest gasket from LR either,its a multi layer shim thing that leaks at the front RH corner where the oil feed to the rockers is. Luckily the original gaskets from Elring are available elsewhere.

This explains a lot. I've just done mine and I have a leak at the front RHS. Wish I'd read this earlier. Where do i get a better one? I thought I was doing the right thing buying genuine LR part (made in Brazil) :rolleyes:

Neil