Retro-fitting hands free system to vehicle

BogMonster

Mobile thickie question here (we've only had mobile phones for about a year in this country...)

If I wanted to fit a Bluetooth hands free system to my Discovery series 2, is it possible, is it expensive and what exactly would I need to do the job? I used the hands free setup with a Bluetooth phone in one of the new Freelander 2's here in October and it worked really well, and they are about to bring in a no-driving-with-mobiles law here like there is in the UK so I wondered if it is practical to fit something to my vehicle to use with a Bluetooth phone? The one in the Freelander was fully integrated to the extent of showing the phone book on the in-car satnav etc, obviously I don't have that in my Discovery, but I wondered if you could get a basic system that outputs sound through the radio speakers and has a hands free mike, and whether a basic aftermarket system like that is any good in practice? obviously no point in getting something that doesn't work properly... and there seems to be a whole lot of cheap stuff out there which I suspect isn't much good?

Obviously a waste of time fitting it to a 90 with mud terrains on so I'm not even going to bother with that <_<

Ta :)

Stephen

I've put cradle systems into several of my cars in the past.

It can be as easy or difficult as you want to make it!

With a bluetooth system you eliminate the cradle and some of your cabling problems.

The brain of the system need to connect to:

Power

Speaker

Microphone

Remote bluetooth controller

Then optionally

Cradle

antenna

stereo

Unbelievably it is more difficult to fit into a Defender than our Ford Focus. Simply because there is nowhere to hide the brain in the dash. On the 90 I screwed it underneath the centre seat but then had to cable along the transmission tunnel and up the bulkhead and along the dash for the other components!! On the 110 it is just left in the oddments tray and the wiring is much more simple.

Decide where you want the speaker, mike and controller. The usually have quite long leads so you can hide the brain in a convenient place in the dash. Stuff, pad, sticky, screw or velcro into place. The power lead will probably have 4 wires. Earth, permanent 12V, ignition 12V, and radio connection/mute (I had a Motorola kit with 6 but I cannot remember what they were for). Keeping it simple just use earth and 12V. If you have a compatible radio you can use the radio speakers to listen to the phone but this adds complication.

Basically, any monkey can (and more often than not do, would you trust them in a £50k car) do it.

Most of your time will be spent deciding where you want stuff, how "hidden" you want it and passing cables behind the dash

All mine have been cradle kits. So linked to phone manufacturer, mainly Nokia.

A colleague DIY fitted the Nokia bluetooth CK-7W with no real issues. Major manufacturers will have their own kits that are guaranteed to work with their phones.

"Parrot" systems are installed in our Director's cars and supposedly work with nearly everything.

Everybody's favourite auction site has hundreds of kits (and with some delving links to proper traders/shops), £50-£100 will get you a used-new set up.

Guest WALFY

Unbelievably it is more difficult to fit into a Defender than our Ford Focus. Simply because there is nowhere to hide the brain in the dash.

When I fitted a set to my 90, I removed the dash with all the dials in. Then you gained access to the space behind the hazard/interior light switch. Plenty of room there.

As for aftemarket kits I just went on Ebay for kits, plenty on there. I'll try and dig out a company name, I had to contact the company afterwards and they were great to deal with.

When I fitted a set to my 90, I removed the dash with all the dials in. Then you gained access to the space behind the hazard/interior light switch. Plenty of room there.

Now you've told me that I'll have to do it. :angry:

...it's not like I have any spare time....kids...animals...MOT...wife....grumble, grumble....

I've always had cradle kits too and have just installed another in my latest Defender and am about to strip out the one I installed in SWMBO's Freelander ready for her new vehicle in a few weeks time. I don't go much on the Borg look so have always stuck to mic's and also use the supplied extension speakers as the I personally find them easier to hear than feeding the audio out of the sound system speakers.

I've always had cradle kits too and have just installed another in my latest Defender and am about to strip out the one I installed in SWMBO's Freelander ready for her new vehicle in a few weeks time. I don't go much on the Borg look so have always stuck to mic's and also use the supplied extension speakers as the I personally find them easier to hear than feeding the audio out of the sound system speakers.

The Borg look :lol: no, me neither...

What kit are you using Steve?

Guest WALFY
Now you've told me that I'll have to do it. :angry:

...it's not like I have any spare time....kids...animals...MOT...wife....grumble, grumble....

SORRY :D

I fitted the Nokia one in the Defender a couple of months ago. Just a microphone, speaker and control unit. All went in easily and works faultlessly - although at motorway speeds there is too much background noise for conversation! When you turn on the ignition the phone connects automatically and disconnects when you turn off (or when you finish your call if one was in progress when you stopped the car).

In Sandbag's car we have a Sony Ericsson clip-on-the-sunvisor one. That too works very well - better than you might imagine. Turn it on when you get in the car and it turns off by its self when you get out and it looses the signal.

Both kits came from Ebay.

Chris

Sony recently launched a new replacement car stereo the BT5000 which has full Bluetooth capability.

It replaces your existing unit and gives full hands free phone capability just like the new Freelander etc.

Stores your phone book etc. No external wires, mics, nothing!

As soon as you turn the vehicle on it pairs with your phone, has built in mic and routes the incoming call to your speakers.

If your phone also stores music then it also becomes an audio source which you can play through the cars speakers.

I fitted one about a month ago and it is brilliant, just leave your phone in your pocket and forget about it.

najw, very neat :) don't want to lose the 11 speaker wireless in the Discovery though

The Nokia kit seems good but from their website it seems to have been superceded with a CK10 which is phone specific and as far as I can see doesn't do Bluetooth but uses a phone cradle instead. I figure it would be better to have Bluetooth so if my phone gets pranged I don't need to buy the exact same model (or change the car kit) - does this sound sensible?

najw, very neat :) don't want to lose the 11 speaker wireless in the Discovery though

The Nokia kit seems good but from their website it seems to have been superceded with a CK10 which is phone specific and as far as I can see doesn't do Bluetooth but uses a phone cradle instead. I figure it would be better to have Bluetooth so if my phone gets pranged I don't need to buy the exact same model (or change the car kit) - does this sound sensible?

It sure does. Also the big advantage of Bluetooth is you don't have to faff about getting your phone out of your pocket/briefcase/hand bag..... ;) The phone just has to be in the vicinity of whatever you are pairing it with. The Parrot systems as already refered to seem to give a good compromise between the intergrated look with out the need to rely on a cradle:-

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=112175

I however just use a basic Jabbra Bluetooth head set at around £30 - that works a treat

The Nokia Bluetooth car kits are a little tempremental with other makes of phone, i have used both nokia kits with cradles and both their bluetooth versions. They worked fine with my nokia phone but when i switched to motorola it would echo alot (this was confirmed by a car audio shop to be a common problem).

I have fitted a Parrot CK3100 this is a brilliant little device, comes with a little screen to dispaly whos calling (etc).

The Parrott blue tooth kit is the mutts , No wiring just plug it into the radio loom and mount the LCD display and that is it .

Caller ID , voice dialing , Battery and signal strength . Access all numbers in you phone through the LCD control .

Not sure about fitting to the defender though , there are 2 boxes about 4"x 2" that need to be stuffed somewhere .

Ive fitted one to my Van and Lorries there Mint .

Obviously a waste of time fitting it to a 90 with mud terrains on so I'm not even going to bother with that <_<

Hmm, i had a 90 TD5 on mud terrains and travelled 18K+ a year in it with a perfectly usable hands free!!! I installed a Nokia CK-7W and it worked flawlessly with both nokia and sony erricson phones through the bluetooth connection, and i also had a charge cable for my nokia back then.

I can highly reccomend them, piece of cake to fit (30 mins) and dead easy to use. I'm just about to put one in my A3 and shall be getting one for the D-Lander when its built too :)

I fitted a Parrot system in the 130 about 3 weeks ago, fantastic bit of kit. cost about 80 quid, half an hour to fit. had no problems hiding the gubbins as I hid them behind my new Mud console but a mate managed to squeeze his behgind the instrument binacle just!

Good Luck

Matt