Need part breakdown of AVM freewheel hub

Gareth Dickens

I have AVM freewheel hubs on my s3 front diff. The one has a spacer between the inner gear that fits on the hub and the stub axle where the other doesn't leaving the side shaft to float in and out. This doesn't seem right to me. My manual only shows standard landy fixed hubs. Please assist.

I have AVM freewheel hubs on my s3 front diff. The one has a spacer between the inner gear that fits on the hub and the stub axle where the other doesn't leaving the side shaft to float in and out. This doesn't seem right to me. My manual only shows standard landy fixed hubs. Please assist.

From what you have posted it sounds like you have 24 spline shafts, late 88" & all 109" xcept V8, if so the missing collar sounds like the spacer that fits under the round slotted nut and sits on the spirolox ring in the splined bore of either the standard flange or the FWH center hub. The spacer is a Rover part with the number 556628.

i have the parts list and fitting instructions, but only for Selectro hubs. i guess the AVM ones won't be much different. tell me if you want it, and i can send it by e-mail to you (it's only 190kb)

Selectro are quite a different design. Gareth, just get hold of a spacer and fit it so that the steering UJ remains correctly centred with the swivel pin axis. If you can move the axle up and down, side to side the hub is knackered, which is quite common for carp AVM hubs, as they dispensed with bronze bushings around 20 years ago, and simply run the inner splined member directly in the cast iron bore of the hub body.if the hub is shot just bolt a fixed driveflange on that side. I ran 1 free wheel hub (early all steel Selectro) on one side and a fixed drive flange on the other for many years without drama or premature wear on the spider gears in the front diff.

Bill.

• 1 year later...
i have the parts list and fitting instructions, but only for Selectro hubs. i guess the AVM ones won't be much different. tell me if you want it, and i can send it by e-mail to you (it's only 190kb)

Hi,

Found this on the forum and hope you can help please. My Selectro hubs are weeping but I have never taken one off so don't know what's inside and might fall out. I would love a copy of the fitting instructions if you could spare it.

Its only part of putting right what some one did to my "new" series. I started out with replacing the mini metro seats!! and its gone on from there. I guess it will never end - hopefully :rolleyes: