Stealing Cars

najw

Following on from the interesting 'Stealing Houses' thread, here's another one...

My other half is an office manager, she was called by a Property Management Agency which had let a house to an ex-employee.

He has now done a runner leaving two cars on the drive and she was asking what she could do about it.

Given that I have a 4x4, a winch and a trailer - and scrap is around £80 a ton :D :D

Can I 'legally' go and remove the cars and take them to the scrapyard?

Thoughts??

Following on from the interesting 'Stealing Houses' thread, here's another one...

My other half is an office manager, she was called by a Property Management Agency which had let a house to an ex-employee.

He has now done a runner leaving two cars on the drive and she was asking what she could do about it.

Given that I have a 4x4, a winch and a trailer - and scrap is around £80 a ton :D :D

Can I 'legally' go and remove the cars and take them to the scrapyard?

Thoughts??

I would say no, you cant touch them,even if he doesn't own the property they are parked on

I used to own a flat with a com car park and at the end of the car park was a garage which was rented by a local bloke,he was allowed access through our car park to get to his garage only.

we had a falling out, he bought a scrap motor and parked it, after refusing to move it i asked the plod if i could move it from my property,the answer was no,i would/could be prosecuted. a solicitors letter to the owner of the garage saw it disappear.

Guest diesel_jim
If they were to magically park in a dangerous position on the road, it would be the council/ polices job to have them removed free of charge.

we had 2 cars abandoned in our car park. a good friend of ours is a policeman, so we asked him what his opinion was, he said that if its on your property, you can't scrap it, but you are also liable for it or any damage it causes! mad eh?

anyway, later that week, at night, the handbrake suddenly came off of both of them, and they rolled down the carpark. the steering locks must have been dodgy as they steered themselves onto the public highway.

2 days later the council removed them.

If the Vehicle is on your property leave a notice on it explaining that if the cars is not removed within 7 days that you will have it removed and any charges will be fowarded to the owner. If after 7 days the car is not moved then you can move them.

Moving them (even pushing, 'failing handbrake' etc) is TWOC - taking a motor vehicle without consent. Daft as it is in situations such as these, that's the law.

Ask local plod - thier policy may be different depentant on whereabouts in the country you are - or failing that try the council. They'll want to know who the registered owner is, as the council often won't remove them without a written disclaimer from the RO. Try the 7 day suggestion - if you can reasonably prove they're abandoned, you should be away.

In a local case many years ago, the court decided that a vehicle is obstructing someones access may be moved enough to gain access but no further. You can use reasonable force to enter the vehicle but must not do unneccesary damage.

The only reason that the defendant was fined, was because the vehicle had shopping in it and he emptied a jar of jam over the drivers seat.

I'm sure if you give reasonable notice, you can remove the vehicles. Or write/email the guy stating that if he does not remove the vehicles within say 14 days, you will assume he has ceded legal ownership to you.

Worth seeing what the DVLA have to say as well.

I'm sure if you give reasonable notice, you can remove the vehicles. Or write/email the guy stating that if he does not remove the vehicles within say 14 days, you will assume he has ceded legal ownership to you.

Worth seeing what the DVLA have to say as well.

A while back someone parked an untaxed car accross a neighbour's drive. He told the Council and after a couple of days they stuck a notice on the car that it would be towed away and crushed within 7?? days if it wasn't moved.

I asked the chap who stuck the notice on could I have the car after 7 days and he said "ask the recovery driver." I suppose once it gets to that point it belongs to the recovery firm and it would be less hassle to them to drive away with a few tenners than a car. In the end it was moved.

I have also heard that Pikeys will look for cars with these notices on and nick them before the time expires, so if an offical (ahem!) notice was to appear on one of these cars it would probably disappear into the night anyway. :ph34r:

Guest WALFY

In a similar vein, when I lived in the lovely metropalis(sp) of the Medway Towns I happened upon an od caravan on the side of a country lane. I was after the chassis to make a nice trailler from. So came back a couple of days later to find the caravan had been trashed. As I was about to hook it up to the Disco Mr Plod came along and informed me that if I hooked it up and moved it, he would nick me for "theft by finding". I assumed Iwas doing the council a favour by removing it. Obviously not

As I was about to hook it up to the Disco Mr Plod came along and informed me that if I hooked it up and moved it, he would nick me for "theft by finding".

We don't have that problem with the fuzz here. They are all too busy trying to stay alive. That concentrates the mind away from stupid regulations.

Guest diesel_jim
he would nick me for "theft by finding".

What kinid of a ridiculous made up law is that? theft by finding? more like finders keepers!!

next it'll be "travelling whilst moving" or "smiling whilst living" :angry:

Guest WALFY
We don't have that problem with the fuzz here. They are all too busy trying to stay alive. That concentrates the mind away from stupid regulations.

When I was in Angola a few yrs ago. Our only R&R was a trip on the mail flight down to Joburg. We waited 4 weeks for our turn but ended getting sent up country at the last minute, how glad I was. The blokes landed and were allowed off the plane but had to stay in the secure side of the airhead. They were only there for a couple of hrs but got robbed TWICE. :angry: Probably the only time I was glad to be working when I should of had time off.