tubular winch bumper...

hairychris21

Sod it. I'm spending more money than I've got at the moment on the truck anyway... So I might as well take off the 'orrible big winch bumper that digs into any hill steeper than a molehill, and put a nice compact steep approach angled bumpery thing. It doesn't have to be tubular, in fact it would be nice to be a bit different!

I've seen this on th'ebay;

Does anyone know of any cheaper, or any better, or both?

DON'T suggest scorpion... ;)

Chris

Dont bother with the Guardian one off eBay - the coating/paint practically falls off as soon as you fit them. And if the bumper is anything like their rocksliders then the jacking tubes wont go all the way through

The RDS ones are okay quality, just not that pretty IMHO

What about Technic offroad? Their bumpers look nice

Why not make one yourself?

Designing a front bumper is a fun bit of fabrication. A bumper needs to be strong and reliable - thats the main reason I like to make such things myself, so you know that it will hold up to some serious use.

Just for inspiration - here is a picture of a front bumber (turbular design) I made for a couple of friends who set out on a 10 month overland journey.

post-1230-1174425595_thumb.jpg

Main tube is 65mm diametre with wall thickness of 9mm. The lower front bend (which doubles as recovery point) is 25mm solid round bar, the other tubes are 30mm diametre with 5mm wall thickness.

Bumber is attached to vehicle with 8 M12 12.9 High Tensile bolts. It aint gonna come off in a hurry...

Main tube is 65mm diametre with wall thickness of 9mm. The lower front bend (which doubles as recovery point) is 25mm solid round bar, the other tubes are 30mm diametre with 5mm wall thickness.

Bumber is attached to vehicle with 8 M12 12.9 High Tensile bolts. It aint gonna come off in a hurry...

Now that's a bumper HFH would be proud of :D

Any pics of the mountings? I would expect the stock 4 bolts plus two where the jate rings mount but the last two?

Per Bertelsen, Kim?

The stickers on the truck is from "Bertelsen Off-Road Shop", but the truck - or the couple driving it - has nothing to do with either Jan or Per Bertelsen.. The couple driving the truck bought a whole lot of spare parts from Bertelsen and got a fairly good price in exchange for fitting some stickers to their car.

Have you meet Per Bertelsen in some international competition? Even though the "Bertelsen Brothers" has a reputation of being the wildest and wickest Off-Roaders in Denmark I wouldnt have thougt they were entering competitions in the same level as the competitions you have shown pictures from...

They (the Bertelsen Brothers) are - as far as I know - the only ones in Denmark to have fittet Portal Axles to a Land Rover. People dont do much custom fabrication here in Denmark. Prepping a truck is mostly done by bolt-ons...

Now that's a bumper HFH would be proud of :D

Any pics of the mountings? I would expect the stock 4 bolts plus two where the jate rings mount but the last two?

Sorry, no pics of the mountings or the build. And the truck is propably in Russia on route to China by now... I didnt have time for photographing - we were working night and days to get the truck finished before their departure date. Lost three days due to a new but faulty timing belt idler pulley. The pic shown was taken just before the boarded the ferry!

But I can try to explain the mountings.

Four pieces (two in each side) of 10mm x 80mm flat bar were welded to the main tube and bolted to the truck using the four stock mounting holes. This accounts for four of the eight bolts.

Furthermore another two pieces (one in each side) of 10mm x 80mm flat bar were welded to the main tube and bolted to the chassis rails using the Jate Ring mounting hole and another drilled and reinforced hole. This accounts for the last four bolts.