Show us your welding and fabration work

muddydisco

This could be very long and big headed thread. Ignore that tat up there^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this is REAL fabrication.

med_gallery_2_28_193187.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_1181206.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_1222568.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_849060.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_974705.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_670358.jpg

med_gallery_2_24_75707.jpg

There's something so special about fabricating - you could be innovating, the first, doing something that others will admire and copy. Of course - you could be also making a total a*se of yourself.

Les.

There's something so special about fabricating - you could be innovating, the first, doing something that others will admire and copy. Of course - you could be also making a total a*se of yourself.

Les.

the latter in my case... BUT... I have a great time doing it :-)

Will is currently away from his PC, but he asked me to show you guys some of his latest work.

I think this particular one is from a single-phase pigeon, medium squeeze. He said he was getting a bit too much spatter, and it may need a new nozzle (or the whole liner replacing). Dunno though - looks like some of his best work to me...?

post-139-1174073665_thumb.jpg

Al :ph34r:

ahh Les - the therapy of gas welding :) I tip my hat to you sir

Orgasmic - embarrassed? nah whatever level people work to they are out there doing it and that deserves respect :)

Al - I almost followed through :lol: Mr Brown Turtle almost came out and licked my pants, still got tears in my eyes :lol::lol:

OK, you can't see much welding - but there is a cut down sump (the missing bit would otherwise be above the disk & stop you getting to the bolts that suspend the diff) plus the frame to support the diff & wishbones.

post-74-1174165837_thumb.jpg

post-74-1174165874_thumb.jpg

This was the first trial fit of the diff, disks & calipers, done this afternoon. Now I can set about making a bit of bracing for the frame plus the wishbones, uprights, steering arms.........

Can't find many pictures, but this got plenty of use this weekend on the front of Orange's Rangie:

Recoverypoint.JPG

Marginally less complicated would be this on one end of my steering damper:

gallery_92_190_16068.jpg

and this on the other:

gallery_92_190_28648.jpg

There are plenty of pictures on my inner wing replacement thread, although none of it is exactly pretty..

gallery_92_172_54191.jpg

and just to show that welding isn't the only answer, here's my winch drum support that I machined from Ally...

endsupportinsitu.jpg

endsupport2.jpg

How to make simple job far more complicated than it needs to be.....

Having moved the servo and master forward in the racer, I needed to extend the push rod from the pedal to the servo. Previously, the rod had been pushed into a bit of tube with the appropriate bracket on the end and welded in place. The new length meant that the 2 pieces no longer "slipped up each other" in the way meant, so needed extending. Rather than just sticking an extra bit of tube on the end and being done with it, I decided to do the job properly, even no-one will even be able to see it.

post-2810-1174945009_thumb.jpg

post-2810-1174945251_thumb.jpg

post-2810-1174945311_thumb.jpg

post-2810-1174945362_thumb.jpg

Take a peice of solid bar, and turn down one end, so that it is a snug fit inside the tube. Then drill out the other end so the orignal rod will once again "slip up" it. Check the measurements, weld it up and hey presto, job done. Far more complicated than just bodging it, but when you've got access to the right gear, it's just very satisfying to use it and do the job properly. I was even able to put a chamfer on both parts to eunsure that the weld would have good penetration. Overkill, hell yes, but I know it's in there!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

just adding a few, not in the same league of some on ere, but i was happy with it...

Rebuild lightweight lower bulkhead:

Landy_bulkhead3.jpg

Test fitted:

testfit1_4.jpg

And again (with re fabricated radiator support):

testfit1_2.jpg

In Paint with new dash console:

dash1.jpg

New LTWT rear tub (can't claim credit for the long bends but the smaller panels were done by myself):

tub1.jpg

Girlfriend (Ex.) having a quick spin:

testdrive2.jpg

Cheers,

Lee