Show us your welding and fabration work

muddydisco

Yes looks like a top job to me too!! I like the switches, fuses and instruments.

Hi Paul/Les, thanks for the kind words.

There are one or two deformations on the bulkhead where the steel's been warped by the heat, caused by my inexperience in welding which I wasn't too happy with and more than a few holes drilled in it where they shouldn't have been. No matter how hard I try being precise with my measurements is something I just can't seem to get right and I've dropped a few monumental cock ups along the way with the tub through measuring.

My tips are if you are going to do major work on your Landie:

Have a water tight garage, thats got a level floor and electricity (and closer than 10 miles to your home)

Landy_engine3.jpg

Spend more than you can afford on a decent mig-welder rather than swearing and shouting at the hobby one you bought from B&Q when it constantly fails to feed the wire! (done more repairs on it than to the Landie!)

Measure twice, cut (or drill) once!

Tell your girlfriend / wife that it will take 4 years + when you start (not a year to change the chassis!)

Don't get despondent with the project - take a few weeks off from time to time and come back afresh.

Ta,

Lee

Looks like the dodgy 'Yoof' in the picture has 'tagged the back wall of your shed! :D

Les.

Yeh, could have done with a few more graffiti types on the project - the paintwork would av bin more wikkid - init!

kikkin it 2 ya! :D

Lee

does it happen to you that after welding with co2 or mig welder for a couple of hours you get the feeling of having been out for a sun tan for a couple of days.. even my eyes... i use the welding mask but at the end of the day they look as if i had been on tequila all day long ... i suppose you use some special mask right ? not the arc welding one. <_<

sometimes at night i even realise what many prophets meant in their writings when they said that they were in the dark and saw the light....cause you get to see all kind of flashes even with closed eyes...and usually it occurs when you go to sleep.. but why... any doctor around... i guess no right.. those drive X5's or Tuaregs :rolleyes:

Brasco - an arc welding visor should be ok for MIG welding - the light is intense UV for both types of welding. If you are getting dazzled or your eyes itch as if there's grit in them, then you must chuck the visor away, as it's not doing what it's designed to do and you could end up with permanent eye damage. Automatic welding face masks are relatively cheap nowadays.

Les

Welding visors have a shade rating. You have to pick the right shade depending to welding current and mode as well as how close your eyes are from the work. When welding, you should be able to see the molten metal and weld forming. This should not be a white flash where you can't comfortably see detail. I keep three different shades on hand for different situations.

Richard