Steering box swap

C.J.

Mentioned last week about the beast wandering around a bit on the road.

It has become significantly worse this week, and bordering on dangerous now I'd say. I've therefore come to the conclusion that after 152,000 miles it must be knackered and needs replacing.

Just how big a job is this item to replace for a non mechanic who doesn't mind at least having a go?

Seen one on flea bay for a hundred quid, but it's 2nd hand and therefore may end up being a bit of a false economy purchase.

New or reconditioned then p'raps? :huh:

Added to all this I've got a replacement ignition barrel to fit cus the original one has become 'sticky' and nearly had me stranded 10 miles from home. Thank the Lord for WD40. ;)

Both n/s doors and tailgate won't open from the outside unless I use the key, even though the locking buttons rise on the blip.

Suspect that a wheel bearing or two are on the blink as I can hear a constant resonating drone, especially when cornering to the right.

Starter motor very very lazy in the morning. Now I believe they ARE a pig to fit.

All in all, pretty damned fedup, but I suppose that's what should be expected after that sort of mileage. :rolleyes:

Tis not a big job. Bit messy but straightforward enough. Hardest part is probably splitting the ball joint on the drag link. We did one onm a 90 the other night in about 1.5 hours. Did mine on the Disco in about 2 hours but it was the first one I had done. If you don't know how good a second hand box is and it costs more than 50 quid then consider a recon exchange from Paddocks or similar. At last look they were diong them for under £100

Tis not a big job. Bit messy but straightforward enough. Hardest part is probably splitting the ball joint on the drag link. We did one onm a 90 the other night in about 1.5 hours. Did mine on the Disco in about 2 hours but it was the first one I had done. If you don't know how good a second hand box is and it costs more than 50 quid then consider a recon exchange from Paddocks or similar. At last look they were diong them for under £100

Just how bad did your Disco steering box get before you decided to replace it, and did it get suddenly worse like mine has...well I presume that's what it is with that mileage.

Can't believe how suddenly it's become so bad, all in the space of a couple of weeks.

It really does feel dodgy to drive on the public highway now and won't be using it again until the problem has been diagnosed and rectified. Must be a good 3-4" of play in the steering wheel now. :o

I'd originally just put it down to the oversize tyres and 3" lift. :rolleyes:

Mine wasn't too bad to drive (a bit notchy) but was loosing so much oil through the input seal that it failed the MOT. (and was costing a fortune in PSFluid!) My mates 90 we just did was apsolutely appalling to drive, we also changed the 2 steering column ujs (the one was completely shot, the other had some play) and the drag link ball joint (also shot). It is a different beast now. I would say it is quite easy for it to suddenly fail as you describe if an internal bearing has collapsed, but check the UJs as well. Is it loosing oil?

If you really aren't confident about doing the job then get someone else to have a look at it for you. I would still suggest you have a go at fixing it though, even if it is in a helping capacity. You will learn loads about your truck, have confidnce to tackle another job next time, and will get a great deal of satisfaction in seeing something broken turned into something good again.

Good luck and keep us posted

Mark

. Is it loosing oil?

Mark

No it's not.

Bit concerned about the sudden failure you speak of. :blink:

I was going to drive it down to my mates garage on monday to let him give a 2nd opinion.

Just been out in it for a short run and it was like steering the QE2...turn the wheel/tiller and wait for something to happen. ;)

Fun these Landys ey? Takes me back to the 60's in me old Ford Anglia in some ways. Press, pull or turn something and hope for the best. :D

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but have you also checked for play in the swivel bearings, are your tyre pressures correct and is there any play in the steering joints. These will all cause poor steering. It surprises me that the box should be knackered at such a low mileage.

Cheers

Log

I'm with Log, why are you so sure all this play in the steering box? There are many other bits more prone to wear in the linkage than the box. Just ask coz it would be shame to swap the box and then find it was a sterring u/j or worn ball joint.

Check the nut that holds the drop arm to box. Mine on my 90 works loose and gives the impression of a knackered box. HTH

Thanks for the 'tips' lads.

These other items will be checked before any removing and replacing of steering boxes. ;)

Steering arm that comes out of the box was loose apparently.

However the previous owner had this tightened up only a couple of months ago apparently.

Kept that quiet from me. :rolleyes:

It drives straight again now, but will see if it reverts back to QE2 mode later in the week, in which case it'll have the new one fitted.

Everything else was fine and dandy apart from a bit of wear on the rubber doghnut on the rear propshaft. That would explain the resonating drone and slight vibration from the rear end. It wasn't the wheel bearing/s as I suspected. They're all fine.

Diff lock wouldn't free off despite much hitting, knuckle bashing and swearing. :angry:

Suspect it's never been used.

2nd hand bits fitted and now works fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah. Back to cruise liner mode again. Strange their are no oil leaks.

Fitting a new box next week, then it'll be time to fix all the other usual faults....no cruise control, no air con, locks that don't unlock, and 2 n/s doors and a tailgate that have to be 'pursauded' to open with brute force.

Who said Disco's were fun?

My initial 3 grand purchase is now knocking on the door of 4.