Rear Crank Seal

Guest WALFY

I didn't take the rad out to do mine. There's loads of space there, just make sure your engine lift is capable of lifting over the rad. Mine only just made it, scraping the sump on the front panel as I lifted it over.

Safety point

When you do separate the engine/box the engine will "spring" free. So be aware that if you have fingers in the way it'll hurt

Thanks very much Walfy. By coincidence, the parts have just arrived and I note that the seal has been supplied is one from Allmakes with a green aluminium ring around it so I have no idea whether this is going to present problems or not -I guess only time will tell. I have got a new clutch assembly to do at the same time as well as the fork and thrust bearing.

I have never taken a TDI engine out before so it's going to be a bit of a learning process. I presumed that the turbo can stay on and that the exhaust can be separated at the top of the downpipe without needing to remove the manifold from the block. The rest hopefully will be fairly straightforward!

Guest WALFY

Yes just break it at the downpipe. Don't forget the cables on the starter motor, Cables from alt, Fuel lines at the FIP, Multi plug at the bulkhead, Easier to drop the PAS pump complete saves bleeding, water piper at heater box

I just started at 1 corner of the engine bay and worked round unbolting/unclipping everthing. When I first did it I wrote a list of all the bits undone. Then when it goes back together I just ticked off the list. Now I don't use the list I've done it that many times :)

If you need advice at all just ask