Defender Exhaust - Need some advice

OK, quick one hopefully. Trying to finish the conversion to V8 today and getting round to the exhaust system.

I have the manifolds and downpie/V section from a Range Rover Classic. Upon a quick mock fit I guess these are totally different from the defender V8 version as they look like they will foul where the removable cross member goes?

A couple of bits to help me move forward:

1. Are the actual cast manifolds the same on a 3.5 Carb and a 3.9 RR Classic?

2. Is the V section the same? Meaning I can just get the correct downpipes?

Anyway, as ever any help appreciated.

Stu

Carb and efi manifolds are different. Efi ones are better and have a more efficient flow, these have twin downpipes.

Can you not use the gearbox crossmember from the donor, or do you not have it? As the engine, gearbox and crossmember mounts are the same spacing on a RRC/90/110 this should fit ok. I'm guessing the doner crossmember would be the type that has the ends bent upwards and allows the tubes to the Y-piece to pass under it. The drawback to this setup is teh pipes area bit more vulnerable to damage off road.

On my conversion I used the standard 90 square crossmember and had a custom stainless system made by Longlife. I was very pleased with their work they din't have a lot of room to route the pipe, and the price they gave me for the Y-piece alone wasn't much more than an off the shelf one from the likes of Janspeed, I already had Janspeed headers.

red86.jpg

the 3.5 engine came out of V8 Freals 110 which now has a 3.9efi fitted & still on the road, so there's no donor vehicle to rob parts from.

Well not technically speaking............I know where V8 Freak lives and maybe I could pop round later under the cover of darkness........

Carb and efi manifolds are different. Efi ones are better and have a more efficient flow, these have twin downpipes.

Can you not use the gearbox crossmember from the donor, or do you not have it? As the engine, gearbox and crossmember mounts are the same spacing on a RRC/90/110 this should fit ok. I'm guessing the doner crossmember would be the type that has the ends bent upwards and allows the tubes to the Y-piece to pass under it. The drawback to this setup is teh pipes area bit more vulnerable to damage off road.

On my conversion I used the standard 90 square crossmember and had a custom stainless system made by Longlife. I was very pleased with their work they din't have a lot of room to route the pipe, and the price they gave me for the Y-piece alone wasn't much more than an off the shelf one from the likes of Janspeed, I already had Janspeed headers.

red86.jpg

Nice Pipes!

OK, next question. Is the standard crossmember on the 2.25 different to one from a V8?

Just to make things clear. I have,

1. V8 3.5 Carb in a 90

2. 3.9 EFI cast manifolds with the twin downpipes from a RR

3. Standard 90 2.25 crossmember

From what you say above, that lot should go together no problems?

The 2 down pipe outlets seem to be sitting exactly where the crossmember should go?

Driving me bonkers now!

Nice Pipes!

Thanks, I wish I could do thet kind of work myself.

OK, next question. Is the standard crossmember on the 2.25 different to one from a V8?

No idea what a 2.25 crossmember is like, square one above is as standard on a V8 90, but some RR V8's have different crossmembers. Certainly those with 3.9 EFI do as mentioned above.

to make things clear. I have,

1. V8 3.5 Carb in a 90

2. 3.9 EFI cast manifolds with the twin downpipes from a RR

3. Standard 90 2.25 crossmember

From what you say above, that lot should go together no problems?

Maybe, but finding or making a Y-piece that fits will be the tricky bit.

The 2 down pipe outlets seem to be sitting exactly where the crossmember should go?

Aye, like I said above RRC with 3.9 EFI does not have a straight box section crossmember, the ends bend up allowing the exhaust to pass under the crossmember. This is why I mentioned the donor vehicle, I thought you where fitting 3.9 along with 3.9 EFI exhaust and if you had the original vehicle you may have the required crossmember.

Driving me bonkers now!

Been there and got the t-shirt, I tried a few Y-pieces to see if anything came close that could be modified, but with me having Janspeed headers to I gave up and spent the money on custom built.

Stu..

Looked through my collection of "Why the "F" did you take that shot" pictures....

Shot from rear forward when gearbox had been refurbed, original 3.5 engine and transfer box way back then....

post-1475-1174249063_thumb.jpg

Cross member is tubular....

Either that tubular crossmember or the square one in my pic will be fine for a stardard carb manifold/downpipes/Y-piece. However you will have problems using a 3.9 EFI manifold/downpipes/Y-piece unless you use a crossmember from a 3.9 EFI RR.

Either that tubular crossmember or the square one in my pic will be fine for a stardard carb manifold/downpipes/Y-piece. However you will have problems using a 3.9 EFI manifold/downpipes/Y-piece unless you use a crossmember from a 3.9 EFI RR.

OK, narrowing down the options now!

Need to find myself one of those 3.9 EFI RR cross members or just buy a whole new system designed for the car!

Anyone know any LAnd Rover breakers in the Herts area?

Stu

P.S......Cheers for all the help guys!

Well, after considering loads of options and spending too much time laying under the Landy in the cold at the weekend pondering exhaust options I decided to just bite the bullet and buy a complete system.

This should be arriving in the next day or 2.

Exhaust.jpg

Its the Rimmer Bros system and seemed like a good deal for 469 all in delivered with all fixtures and fittings included.

Will let you know how I get on when it arrives.

Mmmm, i had a rimmer sport system on a v8 90.... Bit of a tail. Sounded lovely when i eventually got it to fit.

Advice mode.

Watch out for the starter wiring, as it gets pretty hot, and in my experience needed to be re-routed to avoid melting.

That was after 5 different manifolds sent as they wouldn't clear the starter...

From memory they are made in Devon, as i ended up dealing with the manufacturer over the whole fiasco. :o:angry:

Hope you have better look than i did.

Recently used Zorstec see www.zorstec.com in Bradford. Very good service. Loads of work on Harleys etc. Will make what you want... Full system for a TDI 90 well up out of the way, to my spec 2.5 inch etc. £50 more than a rimmer, and this is stainless, not the rusty version...

Hope this helps.

Oz

Well cheers for the advice. I guess I will find out how good it is or is not at the weekend!!!

Neil, keep your grubby little hand off my shiny new exhaust. If you do feel the need to lay under my landy, I will give you a wire brush and some paint so you can tidy up the chassis!!!!

Stu...

You found a smaller cross member yet ? What ever you buy is lilkely to fould on the current one...

Nope, ive been assured this will fit with the current one. I dont think its any deeper than yours. Just square.