ATA carnet

Paul64

Hi,

When shipping your LR outside of Europe for a trip has anyone bought a ATA carnet before, and if so how much did it cost you?

Cheers,

Paul.

There's a very helpfull section on the Frogs Island website that links you to the RAC. Cost of the Carnet is dependant on the country that you want to visit/pass though, the overall value of your car.

My 98' Discovery from UAE to India is about 8000 pounds deposit. Most of which you get back upon re-entry with the car and all of the disclosed belongings etc.

There's a very helpfull section on the Frogs Island website that links you to the RAC. Cost of the Carnet is dependant on the country that you want to visit/pass though, the overall value of your car.

My 98' Discovery from UAE to India is about 8000 pounds deposit. Most of which you get back upon re-entry with the car and all of the disclosed belongings etc.

Thanks Streaky

Hi,

When shipping your LR outside of Europe for a trip has anyone bought a ATA carnet before, and if so how much did it cost you?

Cheers,

Paul.

My last one was under £100 minimum. That was for 5 pages. More pages cost more

R.A.C. motoring 01454 208000

The cost on the Carnet pales on the ammount of "bond" that is needed.

I used my bank, for which two years ago they charged me £75.

Although you can extend a Carnet for another year. Please be aware that UK Road Fund laws only let you leave the UK for 12 months. After that you will need to export. Unless anybody knows better.

For your bond make the value of the car as little as possible. The bond is for the car only. Not any accessories or extras.

Anything else you'd like to know please ask.

Are you also aware that you can't get fully comprensive insurance in most cases where you need a Carnet.

mike FOAK

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

My last one was under £100 minimum. That was for 5 pages. More pages cost more

R.A.C. motoring 01454 208000

The cost on the Carnet pales on the ammount of "bond" that is needed.

I used my bank, for which two years ago they charged me £75.

Although you can extend a Carnet for another year. Please be aware that UK Road Fund laws only let you leave the UK for 12 months. After that you will need to export. Unless anybody knows better.

For your bond make the value of the car as little as possible. The bond is for the car only. Not any accessories or extras.

Anything else you'd like to know please ask.

Are you also aware that you can't get fully comprensive insurance in most cases where you need a Carnet.

mike FOAK

Thanks Mike that is really helpful. The trip I am planning is not definite yet. I am just costing it up. The subject of an ATA came up as the shipping company require it before booking can take place. Always fancied a trip to India. The price varies a lot. Most shipping companies want about £1500 one way, although I have found a company that charges £800 one way from Felixstowe.

Cheers,

Paul.

Is that price RoRo or for a container ??

I wouldn't go near RoRo because you'll most likely find the vehicle gutted when you arrive.

I've heard some nasty stories.

Why should the shipping agent need the Carnet ?? That shouldn't be needed until you get to your destination port. UK Customs will need to see it when you come back in, that's all.

We use Macs Shipping. Our agent is John Good Shipping, 01469 576241 Steve Mercer is the man to speak to. I've got my quote in front of me for this year to Walvis Bay. Oh !! Sherbert it's half in US Dollars. About £1300 I think it was. They have explained that the cost will vary with the rate of the Dollar against the pound on the day of shipping. Then there's the port fees at Walvis Bay. About £400 at a guess.

What are you doing about All Risks insurance?? That's loss damage to vehicle and property.

mike FOAK

Have a look at "the Hubb" on Horizons Unlimited. Its a motorcycle travel forum but there are lots of 4x4 users on there too. It's been one of the best resources I've found for planning trips and has helped me out in loads of ways.

There is a whole section on trip paperwork, covering Carnets, insurance and all the other document stuff you could need.

We are looking at both RoRo and containers to get the Camel shipped to t'other side of the world. Price differences so far seem to be around about £400 between the 2, and TBH, I don't mind paying the extra cos I know that my wagon won't get messed with enroute. Equally, I know of a few people that have shipped by RoRo and had no problems. Biggest issue with RoRo is that the shipping company will state that the vehicle is supposed to be empty.

HTH

Dan

Is that price RoRo or for a container ??

I wouldn't go near RoRo because you'll most likely find the vehicle gutted when you arrive.

I've heard some nasty stories.

Why should the shipping agent need the Carnet ?? That shouldn't be needed until you get to your destination port. UK Customs will need to see it when you come back in, that's all.

We use Macs Shipping. Our agent is John Good Shipping, 01469 576241 Steve Mercer is the man to speak to. I've got my quote in front of me for this year to Walvis Bay. Oh !! Sherbert it's half in US Dollars. About £1300 I think it was. They have explained that the cost will vary with the rate of the Dollar against the pound on the day of shipping. Then there's the port fees at Walvis Bay. About £400 at a guess.

What are you doing about All Risks insurance?? That's loss damage to vehicle and property.

mike FOAK

Thanks Mike for the contact details. The £800 quoted is for a 20 ft container. they said I can also pack it with other stuff too. I haven't got as far as all risks insurance. What sort of price is that?

Cheers, Paul

Have a look at "the Hubb" on Horizons Unlimited. Its a motorcycle travel forum but there are lots of 4x4 users on there too. It's been one of the best resources I've found for planning trips and has helped me out in loads of ways.

There is a whole section on trip paperwork, covering Carnets, insurance and all the other document stuff you could need.

We are looking at both RoRo and containers to get the Camel shipped to t'other side of the world. Price differences so far seem to be around about £400 between the 2, and TBH, I don't mind paying the extra cos I know that my wagon won't get messed with enroute. Equally, I know of a few people that have shipped by RoRo and had no problems. Biggest issue with RoRo is that the shipping company will state that the vehicle is supposed to be empty.

HTH

Dan

Thanks Dan,

Looks like an interesting site, just registered with them too. I do like the idea of a container though. Seems a bit more secure.

Paul.

Margaret the secretary is away at the moment :D

She's back tomorrow night. I'll ask her to post for you.

We used a company called Alexander Forbes. Now there's been some changes. Not sure what. Still the same cover though.

You also have a PM

mike FOAK

Paul.

Margaret the secretary is away at the moment :D

She's back tomorrow night. I'll ask her to post for you.

We used a company called Alexander Forbes. Now there's been some changes. Not sure what. Still the same cover though.

You also have a PM

mike FOAK

Thanks Mike, that will be useful

Hi,

I've never had to buy an ATA carnet, but I've used them many times with work.

The most important thing is to ensure you have adequate pages for the trip you have planned - as is pointed out above, extra pages cost more money, but you can find yourself stranded at a border in "no-mans-land" if you run out of the appropriate sheets!

ATA's can have export and re-import sheets, temporary import and re-export sheets and transit sheets. You need to fill in an export sheet with customs at point of departure from the UK - this is important as if you wait until you get to point of departure from the EU, like if you're driving to southern Europe and getting a boat from there, you'll get sent back to Dover to get the forms stamped! - this is counterstamped when you leave the EU.

If, when you get to the next country, you are just travelling through, then you should use a blue transit voucher - it's much quicker to process in the customs house and can save an eternity of checking.

Two problems with using transit vouchers:

1) They're designed for lorries travelling with goods, so the customs will want to "seal" the load area so you can't dispose of your load whilst in transit between borders - unless you have a seperate load area for all your kit then this isn't going to be possible and can lead to delays while the customs officers decide what to do (or wait for someone sufficiently senior to clock on and decide!).

2) You will get a strict timescale to cross between specified borders - so there is no time for sightseeing or possibilities for deviating from your declared route.

If you want to take your time, or keep your route flexible, then you need to do a temporary import at point of entry and re-export when you finally leave the country in question. This will often result in a check of the vehicle to ensure everything listed on the carnet is actually present at both ends of the country.

Some countries have individual customs houses in major cities. At point of entry they make you use transit vouchers between border and the city you plan visiting, then you have to find the place and "import" when you arrive there, and "re-export" when you leave, and "transit" back to the border (Poland, before it joined the EU used to make you do this, as did Hungary).

It is important that each page in the carnet is stamped and signed correctly, and that there is a "trail" through the carnet that corresponds to your route from the UK to where you are when it is presented. Any missing stamps or signatures mean delays. Some issuing authorities "pair" the import/re-export sheets together, others stick all of the imports together, all of the transits together and all the re-imports at the end. In my experience it's well worth unstitching the carnet (they're usually held together with a metal tag) and reassembling the lot in the order theyre going to be used/read by the customs. ATA's are relatively uncommon in the mass of T1 TIR forms that customs officers are used to dealing with and anything you can do to make it clearer for them will greatly ease your path! It can take loads of time to process an ATA too, and if it's near to shift "knocking-off" time you can find yourself getting the runaround major bigtime just to get rid of you for an hour or so so the duty shift changes. I remember queueing for about 2 hours in Poland to get to the right window only to be told "inspection" as soon as I presented my ATA's. As I had just come from the inspection bays I protested... The officer pointedly looked at the clock on the wall behind him and made it clear that I could either go for a coffee for twenty minutes, or go back to the inspection bays - it didn't matter to him which I chose provided I didn't come back until after he'd finished his shift! Most customs houses seem to work an early/lates/nights pattern so good times to avoid presenting yourself are just before 6am, 2pm and 10pm. Just before 6pm can be bad too if they're on 12hour rotas.

I think the biggest thing to remember is to keep smiling - customs procedures are very time consuming and it's easy to get frustrated at delays and communication problems. The fact that you will be something different to the everyday stuff can work in your favour as, quite often, the officials will be interested in what you are doing and your vehicle. If you have any trinkets you can give away, like sponsor's stickers or sweets or the odd cigarette then this helps oil the wheels of officialdom too. Keep such things discreet though, bribes are not a good idea in most places - certainly not alchohol or cash unless you're in real trouble!

Hope this helps, all the best, Glen.

Thanks Glen, very comprehensive reply, appreciated.

As I said the trip is not definite yet but I have been considering India. Hopefully the fact that I want to see this country only should simplify things as not crossing international borders. Do you think it would be an issue between states or regions?

Regards,

Paul.

Paul.

I should be driving around in India now but the UAE Carnet people and the covering banks screwed me up right proper.

The trip has been postponed untill October now to enable me to save the cash bond instead of a bankers letter.

I'd just spent a fortune getting the Discovery ready and then as always summat comes up and bites me in the @rse.

Should you need insurance for India then please drop me a line. My contact's in India are very good for this kind of thing.

Nittin Dossa's a good friend of mine and also happens to be the Chairman of the Indian Automobile club for the Carnet processing. They will unload the container and secure it for you untill you arrive to collect it. He's also the chairman of the relevant insurance company needed there (three weeks insurance was about 20 quid 3rd party). Nittin is the Chairman of the FIA in India which can also be a handy office to drop into in Mumbai before setting off.

Driving between Indian states is fine. The only dodgey bit would be the very North up by Pakistan.This is not passable in winter anyway because of snow. The furthest North my trip goes is the Punjab.

Border crossings into Nepal are also subject to daily changes so don't make plans before hand unless you really want to go there.

Good road maps are a must have though. Unfortunatly there is hardly anything available for GPS aprt from the basic Mapsource stuff. I bought the Roadmaps of India CD for 900Rupees. This has lots of information about local hostiles, hotels, etc as well as the roadmaps for every province.

Regards.

S.

Paul.

I should be driving around in India now but the UAE Carnet people and the covering banks screwed me up right proper.

The trip has been postponed untill October now to enable me to save the cash bond instead of a bankers letter.

I'd just spent a fortune getting the Discovery ready and then as always summat comes up and bites me in the @rse.

Should you need insurance for India then please drop me a line. My contact's in India are very good for this kind of thing.

Nittin Dossa's a good friend of mine and also happens to be the Chairman of the Indian Automobile club for the Carnet processing. They will unload the container and secure it for you untill you arrive to collect it. He's also the chairman of the relevant insurance company needed there (three weeks insurance was about 20 quid 3rd party). Nittin is the Chairman of the FIA in India which can also be a handy office to drop into in Mumbai before setting off.

Driving between Indian states is fine. The only dodgey bit would be the very North up by Pakistan.This is not passable in winter anyway because of snow. The furthest North my trip goes is the Punjab.

Border crossings into Nepal are also subject to daily changes so don't make plans before hand unless you really want to go there.

Good road maps are a must have though. Unfortunatly there is hardly anything available for GPS aprt from the basic Mapsource stuff. I bought the Roadmaps of India CD for 900Rupees. This has lots of information about local hostiles, hotels, etc as well as the roadmaps for every province.

Regards.

S.

Thanks Streaky, that is really useful and your contact sounds great. I will keep in touch with you regarding progress. If I get this off the ground maybe we can meet up over there in October?

Cheers,

Paul

• 3 years later...

Streaky,

I now this thread is old, but wanted to check with you if you still have contact with mr. Nittin Dossa. Would like to have his email if you don't mind. trying to drive around the world, and looking for a facilitator in India.

http://m.gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/general/traveller-on-journey-to-shrink-the-world-with-a-50-000-plan-1.665121

Thanks!

N