Injector Flow Rates

geoffbeaumont

Geoff, you shouldn't have PWM on anytime, it's only if you want to run low-impedance injectors without a resistor pack. The default values IIRC are PWM disabled. SimonR tried PWM on low-Z injectors with no resistor pack and for whatever reason it just wouldn't play.

Might be thinking of the wrong bit - there's a set of cranking settings (it's probably just pulse width - not sure where I go the M from. Not likely to be any modulation going on there...). At least when hot it doesn't need them set anyway - starts up just fine.

There is some info on the tuning page of how to set everything up, basically you're aiming to get the numbers (REQ-FUEL, squirts/cycle, and fuel map) so that you keep a low but usable pulsewidth at idle and never hit more than 80% duty cycle on the injectors. What numbers you use to get there really don't matter and you can re-scale the fuel map to suit new injector specs any time with the click of a mouse.

Yes, and I have just found this out the hard way :rolleyes: ......... I guess if in doubt then :rtfm:

Essentially, if the REQ-FUEL is set too high then the general resolution becomes poor .......... mine was set at 11.0 and a VE% of 40 gave me a good idle, albeit a little rich .......... reducing the VE% to 39 sent it way too lean.......... all things being equal ............ 40% is a pulse of 2.2ms and 39 is 1.9ms........... what I would really like to do in my quest for perfection is to vary the pulse width manually in 0.1ms steps ......... buts thats being fastidious and OTT :lol:

My REQ-Fuel is now set to 7.8 ................

Oi Fridge, I cant get MSTweak3000 or VexME to work correctly ............ neither can get the x overs or hits from the log file !

:D

Ian

Geoff, you are correct, the hotwire ECU parks the stepper in the open position when you switch the ignition off. When the igntion is switched on the ECU will advance the stepper closed a small amount dependent on the ambient temperature.

Disconnect the stepper after using the hotwire ECU so it stays open then use a screwed clamp to shut down the stepper airpipe to reduce your engine speed.

jw

what I would really like to do in my quest for perfection is to vary the pulse width manually in 0.1ms steps

You need the MS-II cpu then ;)

Have you RTM for MSTweak etc. - are you sure the datalogging is logging the right things, also are you sure your lambda is set correctly - if you have correction turned off (0%) then it will never cross over (remember it looks for crossovers and EGO Adjustment % at that point) and nothing will happen.

Yes, in this instance I have RTM ....... unusal though it mat seem.....

On the WB I have tried using both 75% and 100% controller authority with the x over set at 2.35volts ................ looking at the lof filew I can see loads of entries that are reporting back 2.35V .............. I will play again tonight.

VexME looks to be good ............ if only I could get it to 'hit' when i load the log file.

Maybe my log files are not large enough ............ I do about a 7 mile trip and it logs 10000 lines.

Sent you a log on email ........... and an msq

:)

Ian

Success :)

Should have remembered my infallible maxim; 95% of all V8 problems are ignition related...

Put a timing light on it tonight, running at 18o advanced :blink: The EDIS diagnostic plug is out, so it should be fixed at 8o... First thought was blow this, I've enough to sort out on the fuelling front, so it's going back on the dizzy for now. First lead I pulled off came apart in my hand (one of the good Mallorys :angry: ) - fitted another one in its place and sure enough it's idling okay and the ignition timing is back where it should be.

The only real downside I've found to the EDIS so far is that if it isn't connected to all eight plugs it throws the timing completely. The other plug on that coil was probably getting a very weak spark as well, as both ends need to be grounded for the coil to drive a decent spark.

Couldn't find anything capable of clamping the idle air bypass, but removed the stepper motor and wound it out (probably not good for it, but it's essentially redundant now...). Obviously worked because I had to wind the throttle stop in a bit to get a decent idle speed.

Spent a bit of time fiddling with REQ_FUEL and the maps, and got a fairly decent idle and reasonable drivability.

Still a few issues to deal with. The intermittent connection to the lambda sensor is back (more off than on). That wasn't a huge surprise - Jonathan soldered it outside in a howling gale, which was asking a bit much even with his good temperature controlled soldering iron, and he said he wasn't happy with it. The table switching input isn't working, either, so I can't run separate ignition maps for petrol and LPG at the moment.

Need to do plenty of work on the tables yet, especially the ignition ones, but at least Wales this weekend is looking a great deal more likely than it was yesterday :)

I'm having a good day :)

On top of the pug sailing through it's MOT first time, it looks like I've finally got the lambda sensor issues on the the range rover sorted.

Went over the wiring with a multimeter and couldn't find anything wrong, so tried swopping one of the original sensors back in. Wasn't expecting too much, it was more of a nothing to lose so I might as well thing. Looks like the sensor I fitted before we found the dodgy connection was shot :rolleyes:

It's now running pretty well on petrol and LPG. Maps, especially the ignition ones, need a fair bit of work but hardware wise the only thing still to sort is the table switching.

See you in Wales this weekend :D