Trip to Greece

There seems to be plenty of well travelled people on here...so thought I would ask for some advice.

It looks like I might be working out in Greece this summer, in Halkidiki. I worked there last year, and could have killed for a car (mostly to be able to drive around after the fires and floods)...

So...I'm thinking I might drive my disco out there this year. What do you guys think about the route? Italy and take a ferry? Or Solvenia, Croatia, Serbia, Macedonia etc?

Anything I should take with me apart from tools/obvious spares etc?

How about insurance...I'm with Adrian Flux at the moment, and covered for 30 days in Europe...are they likely to be able to extend this to a few months?

Anyone got an air con system for a 300 disco? Or will the bits from a rangie fit? (minus pump....yes Paul i'm still eyeing up yours...)

(minus pump....yes Paul i'm still eyeing up yours...)

You have first refusal.

The best thing, potentially, to add to your list would be Europe wide breakdown cover. Even if you have tools, if you are 'stranded' in a iffy situation, they ought to be able to help you out. Bit of an insurance policy.

Dad has a house out there on Zakynthos and drives back and forth every year to the UK. They go to somewhere in Italy and take the ferry across (then drive a bit more and take another one to get to Zakynthos but that won't affect you).

Other tips - learn Greek :D

Don't drive through Slovenia, Macedonia etc, it is a very high risk area. You will need to get the ferry to Venice and the day and a half trip to Greece, or drive further down Italy to Brindlisi for a much shorter ferry trip. All that driving, ferries and tolls will cost you loads more than flying and buying a cheap motor in Greece.

Have you tried the National Farmers Union? I know their not that competitive on Discovery's but they do cover Europe. My 90 is covered by them, including unlimited European cover.

Buzz.

• 1 month later...

The date is set...I'm off next sunday (20th), and back some time late october...

Any spares I haven't thought of?

I'm taking:

Spare tyre,

Wheel bearings and associated nuts/gaskets etc...,

Water pump,

Fan belt,

Fuel filter,

Spare bulbs,

Fuses,

Bits of wire/tape/cable ties etc,

Fluids/Lubricants etc,

Plethora of tools.

I've got a spare starter and alternator knocking around too...if I can find them, do I take them, or is this overkill?

Greece has a Land Rover club or at least it did

The Chairman/president was/is a guy called Pantelis Giamarellos, thats from a few years ago when I was involved in Camels.

Have a Google for his email address, if you can't find it PM me.

I've never met the bloke, but he appears to an an absolute star.

If you can take any spares out that they need I suspect you'd have a friend for life - seriously.

Andy

Guest diesel_jim
Greece has a Land Rover club or at least it did

The Chairman/president was/is a guy called Pantelis Giamarellos, thats from a few years ago when I was involved in Camels.

Yeah, Pantelis is still very much active on the yahoo Tdi forums

The date is set...I'm off next sunday (20th), and back some time late october...

Any spares I haven't thought of?

I'm taking:

Spare tyre,

Wheel bearings and associated nuts/gaskets etc...,

Water pump,

Fan belt,

Fuel filter,

Spare bulbs,

Fuses,

Bits of wire/tape/cable ties etc,

Fluids/Lubricants etc,

Plethora of tools.

I've got a spare starter and alternator knocking around too...if I can find them, do I take them, or is this overkill?

brake pads, heater hose, diff oil seal, don't forget all the different requirements of the countries en route.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, didn't take it because unfortunatly it is still on order.

Slightly OT, but while i'm here, I thought I might ask...The engine in question is for a ski boat that has been pronounced dead by two engineers. The hull itself is in good nick, but the engine aparentley seized on the water and hasn't been touched since - this was 3 years ago. It is an american muscle engine...5.8 v8, twin OHC and very nice ;)

I haven't checked if it is really seized or just a rumour - but assuming it has, is there any way of freeing up a seized engine? WD40 down the bores and lots of welly to try and turn it over?

The land rover relationship is that ill use my disco to put it in the water when/if it works.... :ph34r:

depends why it's seized. My old man had a really old Series 2.25 that had it's bores rusted- he dumped in a load of diesel i think and left it for a few days- popped teh ehads back on and it started first time. It may be seized because of a catastrophic failure of some part though- the only DOHC yank V8 of 5.7l is a hemi i think- Chevies are all old style.

If it hasn't popped cracked the block or crank then a good rebuild might do the job.

bugger , missed this thread.i drive to corfu must years and im taking my 90 this year. i normally leave a few days to enjoy switzerland and to chill.

glad to hear you made it ok, enjoy.