Inline filter for snorkel

Am thinking along the same lines. Stock airbox is way too bulky for me and i've got other stuff in the way.

Custom / compact aluminium airbox would be nice but thinking of putting the K&N (with one of those filter wrap things to keep the gloop at bay) on the top of the snorkel with a 90 deg hose to angle it along the top of windscreen, just below the top bar of the rollcage. I think i saw a few Ladoga trucks doing similar.

I plan to put the snorkel on the passenger side (easier / neater with the plenum) but the heater intake is in the way, has anyone tee'd it into the snorkel? would it hoover all the air out of the cab or make a huge racket through the heater vents? :unsure:

Right, I could be shot down in flames here, but my biggest worry with a K&N type top is water ingress when it rains either driving or standing still, I understand that a well oiled filter would repel some, but surely not all?

(and yes, I dont want the great big standard air box either)

Might get shot down in flames too lol but.. I got one of those filter wraps like http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/pro...?Prod=RC-9350DR

The mesh is quite fine, synthetic / plasticy material, water droplets seem to bounce off it rather than soak in, would consider putting some sort of deflector shield in front of it, mainly to keep branches, etc away.

Used to run one on a racing quad years ago, keeps all the mud from getting stuck into the filter fibres and much easier to clean.

If worried about water build up, maybe some sort of U-bend / water trap in the pipework?

I think this could be safer for deep wading, how well do the stock airboxes or off the shelf snorkels seal?

I think this could be safer for deep wading, how well do the stock airboxes or off the shelf snorkels seal?

always the problem with snorkles , never know if they are totally water tight untill the engine goes bang. After all the is no real way of testing them on your drive when you fit them :)

Not very well

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=78

full info and pictures which show how poor Tdi airboxes are, I suspect others will be the same!

My Safari is 100% waterproof, checked by blocking the intake and letting the engine vacuum and stall, and listening for hissing - none :)

how about trunking a nice bit of vacuum hose off the front of the MAF sensor and running it up to the roof. Then on the roof install one of those low sqaure flat filters you find on things like Audis and such like. If you get it right then the air filter can be attached to the roof but won't protrude above the level of a roll cage hoop. Haven't found a suitable air filter yet but i'm sure i will find one somewhere.

i did have another crazy idea- how about butchering up a cyclonic vacuum cleaner and using it to split the dust off- would it be effective enough- i have no idea of the level of dust you actually need to remove with a micron filter- but with a cyclonic "bagless" filter there is at least no lack of suction, and you will always be able to see how full the bag is!