What is a Gas Guzzler?

a gas guzzler would be anything that averages less than mid/ high 20's mpg.

I know i quoted it but i can get my sensible modern lowish tax band cos of its co2 Honda Civic 2.0 into the 20's mpg wise!!

But this is a figure that is 'poor' compared to the 'norm' of 30mpg!!

I guess i was thinking of stuff that does an average of say 25mpg?

I cant define it either, but i had a go with the original question!!

Anglo-Frenchman baby,

It's all relative. A quick quesionair is a s follows....

A: Dose your daily commuter vehicle consume fossil fules?

B: Do you commute alone?

C: How many times a week do you stop at that gas station to buy crud like coffee and carp on your card?

If you're driving an internal combustion engine, it's a gussler, mate! It's getting hard to see in here!

"But when there's a 5.5 litter integrated turbo diesel engine, there's nothing that can stand in your way!".

I live in Canada too. I live on Earth too. 3.875L? It remains to be seen. Buy a bike!

I have to confess that I have absolutely no idea what that last post was all about but I'm sure it's very interesting.

I'm indebted to those of you who have tried to get your head around this question and particularly those who have tried to attribute a figure as to what is indeed a gas-guzzler and what is not. Like with all these things, I'm not particularly certain that there is a right or wrong answer to this and as I was chatting to my learned elderly neighbour the other day over the fence (who drives a 16 year old BX) we came to the conclusion that frankly whichever way you look at it driving is an expensive luxury.

I am convinced that if the UK government was seriously committed to reducing carbon emissions on vehicles then they would invest massively in bio diesel and LPG and any other green alternatives to conventional fossil fuels and abolish duty on those fuels in order to make them absolutely irresistible to the masses. The fact that they have not done any of these things makes me highly suspicious of their motivation and as one who used to run LPG vehicle, I watched the price for this particular type of fuel gradually creep up and up and up slowly narrowing the gap between it and diesel.

Here in France, things are slightly different but then we do have the advantage of having a country that is twice the size of the UK with a population of the same size which generally means that our roads here are significantly less congested. Road tax was abolished some years ago (which was nice) and fuel prices are generally less than the UK although they have risen significantly in the last two years and are hovering around just below €1 per litre mark. Most of the main arterial routes have tolls on them but these are generally not expensive and mean that you can virtually have the road to yourself and much of the time even during busy periods. This reason, I think the French are slightly less hung up about 4X4s and you don't tend to see them being targeted in the media in quite the same way as it is done in the UK.

For my part, I feel that my 200 TDI is pretty average in terms of its impact on the environment. Yes the engine is perhaps not cutting edge technology and I expect that it emissions are not as good as perhaps some of the more modern equivalents but at 14 years old I feel that its durability has to have some positive impact upon the environment in terms of the demand for raw materials and the fact that it hasn't gone to landfill somewhere like many of its modern jelly mould counterparts which only have a life of perhaps half that.

We were watching an article on TV a couple of days ago in which they were talking about the brand new Defender which is coming out shortly that has the 2.4 L Ford engine and which apparently is going to satisfy the latest EU directives on carbon emissions etc etc. My wife said to me " I think we should get one of those". Perhaps every cloud does have a silver lining after all!...................;;

Slightly off topic, but apparently the term "Global Warming" was first coined by a certain Mrs Thatcher during the miner's strike as she was trying to justify building a Nuclear Power Station......

.....see, it is all political spin.

I'm with Si White. We should seceed from the Union!

I am convinced that if the UK government was seriously committed to reducing carbon emissions on vehicles then they would invest massively in bio diesel and LPG and any other green alternatives to conventional fossil fuels and abolish duty on those fuels in order to make them absolutely irresistible to the masses. The fact that they have not done any of these things makes me highly suspicious of their motivation

I agree with that 100%