Lead replacement additives....

Guest MJG

Which ones do you use and why???

And which petrol should I be using in a 1975 2.25 petrol.

I think it should be Super Plus Unleaded with Lead additive.....

an I correct or will normal unleaded plus lead additive do??

(need to know before Saturday)

Cheers folks.

The super anorak answer is use Redex as they tend to make stuff that works.

The practical answer is chuck normal unleaded in on its own and see how it goes, if you can be bothered then you can adjust the timing to suit if it needs it.

Here is the list of lead replacement additives which have been properly tested and approved by the historic classic vehicle people:

http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuel/additives.htm

Your engine should be run on the basic unleaded fuel with one of the approved additives. If it isn't on the list, I wouldn't use it.

There are plenty of different makes out there, but there is no standard for the concentration levels of the different active ingredients. Some work better than others. The ones on the list have been independantly tested to prove their worth.

However, many landrover users have been running on ordinary unleaded without additives for years with no problems. Valve seat recession will occur fairly rapidly if the engine is used for high speed motorway work. But, if the engine is not operated at high revs and loads for sustained periods, you may find like others have done, that no noticeable valve seat recession will occur.

Some owners take the view that you should just run it without additives until the cylinder head needs replacement, then take the opportunity to fit a 'lead free' head. This may be many tens of thousands of miles away, or may never be needed.

As long as you check the valve clearances at the service intervals, you will notice if the engine is suffering from valve seat recession, as the tappet clearances ( generally on the exhaust valves) will close up.

Super unleaded has a higher octane but has no additives which will help with lead replacement issues.

Ordinary unleaded is higher octane than your engine was designed for. Unless you have a turbo or a very highly tuned engine, super unleaded is a waste of money.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

Which ones do you use and why???

And which petrol should I be using in a 1975 2.25 petrol.

I think it should be Super Plus Unleaded with Lead additive.....

an I correct or will normal unleaded plus lead additive do??

(need to know before Saturday)

Cheers folks.

Ran both of our series 2s for years on standard unleaded, never used any additives at all. Had the head of one a cople of weeks ago no sign of any damage to the valve seats.

Regards Keith

Cheers every body - I've bought some Red Line just to add for the journey home as much of it will be Dual carriageway/motor way on the way home.

Not sure what the current owner does.

After I get it home I will re-asses - thanks again every body.