Now its, what gearbox have I got?

You guys sorted out what engine I’ve got,Here now could you do the same for my gearbox please?

1991 Defender 90 2.5 N/A Ex military with a 5 speed box with reverse to the left of 1st, looking in the manual I thought I would have a LT77 & LT230R but there isn’t a number where the diagram shows them to be. I could not understand the diagram for where the LT230T or LT85 numbers would be so I don’t know if that it or not.

What I did find was the number 22D******D close to where the manual shows the number to be for a LT95 box but the manual says it’s a four speed box. I’m confused <_< , is the number I’m quoting a LT95 number? if not please help me find the number or identify what the box is.

According to the 1991 military parts manual the 2.5NA has a LT77 gearbox fitted and has the prefix 51A, I currently have a military LT77 box fitted to my 110 and that's what stamped on mine.

As for the transfer box the manual says it should be a 20D (1.667 ratio), if it's 22D (1.410 ratio) then it's possibly not the original and has been changed to alter the gearing.

Edited to add:

If you own a ex-MOD 90 you may find these downloads useful, also take a look at Ashcroft Transmissions website.

HTH

All non-V8 engined [4 cylinder engined] 90 & 110's have LT77 5 speed main gearboxes, from the 300Tdi engine onwards they have R380 5 speed boxes.

Thats not quite true in actual fact, the MOD continued to order defenders up until Wolf HS with the 2.5 NA, but mated to the R380. Most Army defenders are LT77 as you would expect, but the chances are if it's a late-ish defender it'll have the later box.

I had a 1984 2.5 NA military demonstrator that was owned by BAe. It had a short bellhousing R380 fitted at some time in it's life, can't remember what the gearbox prefix was. They are fairly rare, I've only ever seen one for sale. Most private owners would fit a recon LT77 when the splines go but I assume the official replacement for when money didn't matter was the R380.

For 5 sped boxes, if reverse is next to first it is either LT77 or LT85, so you can rule out R380. As LT85 was a V8 gearbox, I think (assuming original engine) that you can assume it is an LT77.

Ashcrofts give identification that LT77 also has black casing, but on the basis of age and ex military, I wouldn't rely too much on this. They also have a video on their site of how to find the serial number.

Well you guys have sorted me out again, :D I have now established that I have indeed got a LT77 and LT230. As Pyrover suggested the 22D prefix probably means its either a specific spec or is not original. Thanks for the links, the Ashcroft one was exceptional. A bit of wire wool revealed the number on the LT77 that I would have sworn didn’t exist !! I just got totally confused chasing numbers and not finding them made me think I had something odd ball.