Caution; TIConsole Mk1 Series Disc Brake Conversion

minivin

I thought this was worth posting up in the main forum rather than in the Technical forum as it may get missed in there, particularly if someone is thinking of buying a second hand kit (since now they produce the mkII version).

I have had my kit fitted on my vehicle for about 5,000 miles now and have just got around to getting some new rims and tyres fitted. While removing the offside front wheel I noticed this chamfer on the calliper body:

DSCF2999.jpg

Turns out it matches the rim as well and has been taking a nice chunk slowly out of the rim:

DSCF3000.jpg

DSCF3001.jpg

This is a Series III 109 LWB rim with the MKI TIConsole kit fitted, I had problems fitting it and now have found that during service and the movement of the calliper has resulted in it now coming into contact with the rim.

I would therefore recommend that all users of this kit check their vehicles ASAP that the same is not happening to their vehicle, and for those people thinking of buying one of these kits, if you do then please do clearance checks on assembly to determine that the system will not fowl in use.

In theory as Chris Perfect was originally supplying TIConsole kits, and then producing his own, this may also affect his MKI kits!

I will shortly be emailing TIConsole to inform them that I have found another problem with their kit

Pure coincidence that is where all the balance weights are on the rim ?

Is the rim actually round ?

Also the scores look rusty, wouldn't they be brighter if it was constantly rubbing ?

I wou;ld say you are spot on with the doubting of roundness......

These brake kits are effectively standard parts off a Santana ( not the new PS10 but the last of the old ones ) made in Spain. These vehicles will accept standard LR rims without trouble....

I am guessing as I have not seen the vehicle but there is something other than the brake kit that is wrong...

It is a floating caliper ( IIRC ) - are the slides free or is the caliper kicking out under braking pressure because the pins are seized. I had this on my little Corsa van.

I would also suggest the balance weights in that number either correct a really badle remoulded mud tyre or a wonky wheel.

David

Pure coincidence that is where all the balance weights are on the rim ?

Is the rim actually round ?

Also the scores look rusty, wouldn't they be brighter if it was constantly rubbing ?

No, it hits every dish mounting point the same amount, wheel is round

Ouch...........

No harm in checking if you have them fitted to your truck!

Spacers would cure the problem. Do you know if the New ones rub?

The wolf rims are clear, and supposedly are recommended to be used by Zeus on their kits, even they couldn't be fussed to design it properly :rolleyes:

• 3 years later...

i have a Chhris perfect Ticonsoel kit. x 4 wheels. Fitted 2004ish. It uses teh Fiat Ducato/Peugoet C5 van caliper, whereas there is a TIC kit using Mercedes calipers.

I had problems with standard 109" LWB wheels clearing, but found one part number that did go. 9sorry not ohand - rim branded Dunlop) Recently got hold of the real deep dish steel forward control 2b wheels 569203 and these rubbed to teh claiper, so had to get the grinder out. This kit has problems with soem LR std part wheels. But all can be amde to 'fit'

• 1 year later...

Looking again the issue is actually covered in the fitting instructions to the kit. You must grind the outside edge to the caliper. It would appear you PO did not do this or 'his' rims did not foul the caliper, and your 'new' rims do so, you get this issue. Not the kits fault. Installation error.

See attached. The idiot I paid to fit my kit did not read it and ground five rims to fit. Ahhh!

See TICs intructions attached. Couldn't be clearer.