V8 injection problems

eddie c

I have a 1990 V8I, which is running as if it has a plug or two off, but all tests have shown that the spark plugs, leads etc are ok. It's been suggested that these early injection system were very troublesom and should be swap for a carb set up.

Also when it's running there appears to be a rattling sound coming from the left hand side rocker cover area ( lookin from the front ) is this related in any way?

The firing of the injectors will make a clicking / ticking noise. The early EFi's are a bit old now so you will see faults, but carbs would be a backwards step IMHO.

Is the wiring loom in good condition - the old ones crack/perish especially round the injector boots and throttle position sensor wires.

Is everything plugged in, contacts clean, etc.?

Is it running rich/lean?

If you search for EFI problems and look in the technical archive you should find loads of troubleshooting info, including a huge PDF document on testing/checking the entire system. It's not that complicated, I reckon once you've got the hang of it it's easier than farting about with carbs :P

The firing of the injectors will make a clicking / ticking noise. The early EFi's are a bit old now so you will see faults, but carbs would be a backwards step IMHO.

Is the wiring loom in good condition - the old ones crack/perish especially round the injector boots and throttle position sensor wires.

Is everything plugged in, contacts clean, etc.?

Is it running rich/lean?

If you search for EFI problems and look in the technical archive you should find loads of troubleshooting info, including a huge PDF document on testing/checking the entire system. It's not that complicated, I reckon once you've got the hang of it it's easier than farting about with carbs :P

Tried searching for 'efi' but it reveals nothing in any of the forums!

I have a problem with my LR110V8efi. It worked fine up until a few days ago. I start on petrol as usual and the engine runs (a little richly). But as soon as I press the throttle, the engine splutters and dies. It will idle, but the mixture sounds and smells too rich. However, if I switch to LPG the engine runs sweetly. I have checked for physical problems, broken tubes, wires etc, but I am still not completely familiar with this efi - I only had it fitted a couple of years ago, replacing the old carbs, and it has not been any trouble until now.

Any hints appreciated.

Anatole