Have I landed duff fuel or do I have a problem?

Problems with engine today. Its a 1991 Defender 90 with a 200Tdi engine.

Had to go up to Aberdeen and filled up with diesel in Dundee (Jet). After about 40 minutes or so travelling at about 60mph the engine started to, I can only think of it like stuttering. I dropped speed and it seemed fine but as I picked up again it went back to faltering. Got to Aberdeen, loaded up kit and then headed back. Fine for first 40 minutes or so and then it started again. We stopped for a break at Forfar and yet again OK for a while then kicked back in. Mind you it never stopped even if it did falter quite badly once or twice.

I kept very close eye on temperature gauge and it never budged off its normal position. I also checked the fuel return unions at the injectors in case air was being sucked in but they were tight and completely dry.

I wondered if I had picked up a cr*p batch of fuel? But I also wondered if it was engine getting hot but perhaps not showing on gauge? I checked coolant before we left and again just now but levels are still OK. Also looked inside oil filler cap and nothing creamy so think it isn't a cylinder head thing.

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before? If so what do you think it is? Should I pop some diesel treatment in to try and clean through the injectors?

Any help greatly appreciated. Having just rechassied the thing I don't want the engine to go!!!!

Best wishes

Malcy

Guest diesel_jim

If it does it after 40 minutes or so, i'd suspect a blocked breather on your fuel tank.

remove the filler cap and listen for a "whoosh" as you let the air pressure in/out

Problems with engine today. Its a 1991 Defender 90 with a 200Tdi engine.

Had to go up to Aberdeen and filled up with diesel in Dundee (Jet). After about 40 minutes or so travelling at about 60mph the engine started to, I can only think of it like stuttering. I dropped speed and it seemed fine but as I picked up again it went back to faltering. Got to Aberdeen, loaded up kit and then headed back. Fine for first 40 minutes or so and then it started again. We stopped for a break at Forfar and yet again OK for a while then kicked back in. Mind you it never stopped even if it did falter quite badly once or twice.

I kept very close eye on temperature gauge and it never budged off its normal position. I also checked the fuel return unions at the injectors in case air was being sucked in but they were tight and completely dry.

I wondered if I had picked up a cr*p batch of fuel? But I also wondered if it was engine getting hot but perhaps not showing on gauge? I checked coolant before we left and again just now but levels are still OK. Also looked inside oil filler cap and nothing creamy so think it isn't a cylinder head thing.

Has anyone come across this sort of thing before? If so what do you think it is? Should I pop some diesel treatment in to try and clean through the injectors?

Any help greatly appreciated. Having just rechassied the thing I don't want the engine to go!!!!

Best wishes

Malcy

Put a new fuel filter on it. Cheap diesel especially supermarket stuff has lots of water in it.

Could simply be coincidence, but sounds blocked to me. With a diesel if it runs and does not smoke it's most likely fuel.

Thanks guys

I didn't see posts till this morning. I took off the fuel cap and no noise at all, but then it had sat for about 15 hours or so.

The fuel filter was changed about 3,000 miles ago but they are cheap so I will try changing that.

I agree the coincidence is quite striking but my fear was that if I simply put it down to coincidence and it was actually something more sinister then I wasn't doing myself any favours.

If it happens again then I will pull in and try the fuel cap trick - then all I need to do is find where the breather is lol!!

Thanks for your suggestions

Malcy

You must realise that the standard LR temp gauge is a load of rubbish. It reads 'in the middle' from 40 to 110c. If you want to know what is going on there fit a VDO 40-120c gauge and their sender. This may worry you because the temp will vary depending whether you are going up or down hill, what the ambient temp is, etc. LR don't want to worry you with this stuff so they fit a gauge which is always in the centre. The TD5 gauge is the same, btw. Though made by VDO it does not show you what the engine temp really is. The ECU knows it to the degree, but LR don't want you to know that.

Just to update. I drained about 150ml from the bottom of the fuel filter last night. Today it has been running fine. Filled up again and hopefully the end of the saga - but I have got a new fuel filter on order and will change it as soon as it arrives.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

Best wishes

Malcy

If it does it again quickly pull over and unscrew the fuel cap, but dont nescessarily turn off the engine, you may not hear a woosh but take it off completely,and drive home like that, and see if it makes any difference.. I drilled a couple of tiny holes in the cap after mine went, ok for years,