Mmmm Birthday Beadlocks.

roguevogue

When my wife asked what i'd like for my birthday and I said beadlocks, I never thought I would get them.

I was wrong, with a little help from her friends she got exactly what I wanted.

Today I finished fitting them.

Dscn0155.jpg

Dscn0157.jpg

They take some putting together with 32 screws in each wheel!

I should point out that simonr is mostly responsible for me getting these at all, thanks si.

hmmm beadlocks

nice one nick.

what variety are these then-weld on? do you know where they came from, and were there any problems with installation from poor manufacturing?

gives us a good oppotunity to have another debate about whether or not they are road legal :D

They were cut to my design, organized by simonr. they are weld on, very much on the lines of the straight forward supplies ones. They were cut by nas90 so absolutely no problems with the quality.

They are held together by 32 stainless M8 screws each. :blink:

I sanded the ribbing off the inside of the tyre where it sits on the rim.

Trevor, your good! I fitted To**ta axles from a 93 Landcruiser so now I have lockers and 4.11 diffs. :rolleyes:

Am I miss counting studs or have you also swapped out the rear axle?

Nice truck :D

i dont think rover axles have those little triangular fillets at the diff do they?

gahh far too slow at responding

was going to ask how you sorted the radius arms issue, but it doesn't look like you have radius arms in the conventional sense

They look spiffing! Must get round to hot-gluing mine on.

I think you could do a first class tech thread on these and the associated suspension re-design. Something to rival Pirate on the techy front. You're probably too shy though! ;)

Si

When my wife asked what i'd like for my birthday and I said beadlocks, I never thought I would get them.

I was wrong, with a little help from her friends she got exactly what I wanted.

Excellent :D , so did you open the pressie and then say thanks and I'll see you this evening when I'm finished fitting them! ;) ;)

Cheers

Steve

Looks very very nice excellent work as always.

any chance of an axle install thread?

for the tech archive? where no one can post replies if you get my meaning :)

Yeah agree tony

Be nice to see and stop a couple of people having a go at putting a strong cheap set of axels on . Hey Tony :D

YooooooooooooooooooooooooW Wicked Rogue my man. Givin' It some Bling Bigtime Innit :lol:

Lovely jobbie, nice dentypoos picked up in the front side of the bonnet, :lol: ?

Nice to see a "Non following of the Pack" solution re the Toyota Axles

And you did all this without the assistance of the new "Ask Warne" Feature we have installed :o at great cost yer know :P

Good Grief Man anyone would think you knew what you were doing FFS :lol:

Nige :lol:

And you did all this without the assistance of the new "Ask Warne" Feature we have installed :o at great cost yer know :P

Coor i got ridicled by a few on here when i surgested putting toyota axles on a land rover ;)

As they are btter than spending a fortune on Maxi drive and stuff

Look brillant they very similar to mine wish i had got mine coated though the paint is flaking already. If u find u get alot of mud trapped between the rings it may be an idea to put some water hose in the gap, done this to mine, stops the mud and also stops the ring coaning as much making it easier to torque the bolts.

pics here http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...l=what+pressure

you can just about see the hose sandwhiched between the 2 plates

Trevor, your good! I fitted To**ta axles from a 93 Landcruiser so now I have lockers and 4.11 diffs. :rolleyes:

Good man. Nice to see someone doing something different and why replace a diff when you can replace the axle :)

Growing collection of event numbers on the side too. I'm looking fwd to the next xhance I get to see it in action again.

Yeah agree tony

Be nice to see and stop a couple of people having a go at putting a strong cheap set of axels on . Hey Tony :D

Ali strong/Cheap and easy when you have Nicks Skills

unfortunatley most don't have so Rover is easier.

some under estimated the work Nick has done and the mods he thinks of/designs and then builds rather than the Vapour builds

that get spouted on about time and time again.

Remind me again what axles you had on your 90 and the time you spent telling us that GKN overload hubs were the holy grail.

short time after you arrive in Aus

toy axles etc are the way to enlightenment.

overloads are a bit left in the past now days wouldn't you agree?

I have M/D/Ashcroft/ARBs and for my purpose they are ideal.

Nick has again moved the vehicle building on with his superb truck.

any way when is your new vehicle going to grace these pages?

before or after the "warne mobil" :lol:

Ali strong/Cheap and easy when you have Nicks Skills

unfortunatley most don't have so Rover is easier.

some under estimated the work Nick has done and the mods he thinks of/designs and then builds rather than the Vapour builds

that get spouted on about time and time again.

Remind me again what axles you had on your 90 and the time you spent telling us that GKN overload hubs were the holy grail.

short time after you arrive in Aus

toy axles etc are the way to enlightenment.

overloads are a bit left in the past now days wouldn't you agree?

I have M/D/Ashcroft/ARBs and for my purpose they are ideal.

Nick has again moved the vehicle building on with his superb truck.

any way when is your new vehicle going to grace these pages?

before or after the "warne mobil" :lol:

Tony my 90 was 3 years ago , time moves on and things change in off roading. Yeah at the time , i did think they were the best way forward , and proved to me on variuos events that they were. Never caused me a problem and always drove my truck home from events. Just ask Nige how much of a ruff arse i was and how i treated those axels .

But as i said time moves on and the competion scene also moves on . There are alot of things i had on my old 90 that were great at the time but i would not put on my truck now. I used to say in the late 80's that SAT's were the mutts nuts , but now i would not give you a pound for a set. And there are alot of people that say the same.

Nicks truck is fantastic and a lovley truck and as you say he has moved the vehicle building on with his truck. And this is what i mean. Things move on and you have to look else where or look at what else is going on . In other words take off the blinkers and think out side the box. If you look at the Outback challenge most (if not all) of the rangies in that run Nissan or Toyota alxes. This is somthing not alot of people in the uk know about . But when you are here you see alot of rangie and defenders running about with nissan or toyota axles on. The reason is that it is chaep and quicker than going the maxi drive route or any other route. . All i am doing in the past here is to tell the people in the Uk what is going on here and what is the prefered axel mod.

And as you have said to me before tony , if you don't like it don't read the post. ;)

As for my new truck , well it is a 3.9 V8 Disco which is being built up at the moment , Will have Nissan axles on it soon with 4.1 and lockers. Then start hacking the back off. But this is not a quick build as i want it right and will be hoping to enter the OBC in 2009. The idea is to go to the OBC in 2008 to watch and then enter a year later.

YooooooooooooooooooooooooW Wicked Rogue my man. Givin' It some Bling Bigtime Innit :lol:

Lovely jobbie, nice dentypoos picked up in the front side of the bonnet, :lol: ?

Nige, enjoying the fishing? Catch anything :lol: I know of a nice Tdi for sale BTW, right up your street.

Nice job with the axles, Nick. For someone with your fabrication skills its a very neat solution to both the strength and gearing issues of Rover axles as well as gaining lockers. :)

Proper job as always Nick.

Bloody good job too - the "Standard + 1" class at JST's events is becoming even more exclusive now you're with the big boys! :lol: I might even win it if one more entrant upgrades :hysterical::hysterical:

For the ignorant amongst us, which Toyota / Nissan vehicles have R&R lockers as standard then? Just so I can check the local rag you understand.. :unsure:

Proper job as always Nick.

Bloody good job too - the "Standard + 1" class at JST's events is becoming even more exclusive now you're with the big boys! :lol: I might even win it if one more entrant upgrades :hysterical::hysterical:

For the ignorant amongst us, which Toyota / Nissan vehicles have R&R lockers as standard then? Just so I can check the local rag you understand.. :unsure:

Its not just the lockers but also they have differant ring and pinion ratios too. So you want to work out what ratio you want and then that depends on what the engine is as to what the ratio is .

Here are some links

Toyta centers in a Land Rover axle

Toyota centers in a landy axle two

Upgrade axles (LR4x4 post)

Maggots Rangie with Toyota axels

Not many negative replies, I will get the ball rolling; your roof tent has seen better days. :P

Chris

and it can't be a proper challenge truck as it doesn't have bucket seats and four point harnesses in! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Steve

euro spec 80 series had electric lockers front and rear, i think most jap ones also, rest of the world it hink its an option. for what's available here, a locl 80 is a safe bet, an import would need to be checked.

landcruiser II's (cant remember what their series name is, coiler of a 75) have lsd's in the back euro spec, nothing up front. i think that goes for euro spec 4 runners too, not sure of that. pretty sure jap 4-runners, 'surf's' have lsd's in the back (plenty of them dying now). patrol (gq) comes with a locker up the back i think, i'd assume its an lsd, but i don't really know. nothing up front there either. don't know about older mq patrols or the newer gu's.

80 series is i think the only one with a factory front locker. . although gwagens came with them i think.

Not many negative replies, I will get the ball rolling; your roof tent has seen better days. tongue.gif

Chris

it looks more fit for purpose than your starter though Chris......

Looking good Nick, so fully modified now, when do we get to see the beast in action? and when you next competing....

The axles I fitted are from a 93 HDJ80, 4.2 VX.

They both have electric lockers fitted as standard, I'm certainly no expert as to what has what fitted but I believe all UK models of HJ80 had/have lockers.

In terms of fitting them there are some positive advantages, for example, the diffs are on the correct side of the axle, they also rotate the correct way. Disc brakes all round are standard.

On the down side, the only original bracket one could use in a standard type install is the panhard rod bracket although you couldn't use a standard panhard rod. Ball joint tapers and threads are different to LR ones too. To top it all the drive flanges are different to rover ones, come to that the front and rear flanges are different to each other.

Looking good Nick, so fully modified now, when do we get to see the beast in action? and when you next competing....

Yes, i'm afraid I will have to leave the hallowed company of the std+1 group, in favour of a more difficult arena.

Perhaps I can improve on joint bottom of my class. :ph34r:

I plan to be out for the MWWCE in May, after that the J33P at 7sisters in the summer, I do hope to get your way again this year though.