I've got Loose Drive member nuts

JST

i think this came up not long ago and it was Mo who had the issue, rear drive member bolts keep coming undone (over say 300 miles) and only on one wheel. Do these bolts need/shoudl they be replaced regularly or would thread locking them in be a better option?

i think this came up not long ago and it was Mo who had the issue, rear drive member bolts keep coming undone (over say 300 miles) and only on one wheel. Do these bolts need/shoudl they be replaced regularly or would thread locking them in be a better option?

Hello,

If you have oily threads, then that's the reason. Clean them out and see if that helps. Otherwise try to replace the bolts.

/tony

Threadlock is preferred in the workshop manual. Always used loctite 245 on mine. Never had any problems.

when you say drive member...do you mean the drive flange ??

mine come undone every so often....just the spring washers have flattend off and aint pinching the bolt head no more to stop um coming undone, fit ne spring washers there good to be undone another 10 times :D

dan

You will probably find the other side won't undo as the wheel rotation keeps them tightened. That is why the old Austin Champ had wheel nuts that went the other way for 1 side of vehicle (can't remember which side and can't be bothered to think).

Bit of useless info! :)

James run a tap through the holes to clean them out

loctite the bolts after wire brushing the threads

mine have never come loose since, this is the method I adopt every time I remove a drive member, still on the original bolts BTW.