Galvanising paint stuff

BogMonster

Used it on my cappings last summer and overpainted with hammerite (they were second hand galvanised) it was a tossup between Zinga Galvafroid and 182. Zinga seemded to have the edge, but too early to tell, very heavy tin tho.

I guess it all works on much the same theory (spray on zinc coating which becomes sacrificial) so it is probably a matter or cost? or is any one much better than the others?

Another question: has anybody tried galvanising bolts with this stuff? My 90 is suffering from the usual "brown rear end syndrome" that you get with Land Rovers after a couple of years and my options are new std bolts, stainless ones (which by some accounts then eat the alloy panels instead ... not really progress!) or trying to paint/galvanise the old ones.

Ta everybody :)

Galvafroid,

We use it at work to cover cuts in galv tray and trunking outside still ok years after being fitted , plus my chassis had 4 coats(after it was shot blasted) when I built it in 1999 and still no rust showing through ;)

Working offshore means I've used pretty much all of these types of paints over the years including Galvafroid but Zinga's the only one that works on the rigs (keeps on getting nicked from stores too!). Expensive but you get what you pays for! I used Zinga on my Series 1 chassis last year after I'd used it at work and I read that it had full Land Rover approval and I couldn't be happier. Since used it on lifestock lorry chassis, boat trainers etc. - all from the same tin (it doesn't go off). As said in earlier contribution, tins are v.heavy!

Working offshore means I've used pretty much all of these types of paints over the years including Galvafroid but Zinga's the only one that works on the rigs (keeps on getting nicked from stores too!). Expensive but you get what you pays for! I used Zinga on my Series 1 chassis last year after I'd used it at work and I read that it had full Land Rover approval and I couldn't be happier. Since used it on lifestock lorry chassis, boat trainers etc. - all from the same tin (it doesn't go off). As said in earlier contribution, tins are v.heavy!

I have a boat trailer so something that works in salt water would be good too ;)

thanks for the input :)

Surface prep is really important. I had the trailer steam cleaned & grit blasted (rather than shot) locally and coated with two good coats of Zinga - i didn't bother with topcoats. It's done a season and looks perfect. The Landie chassis was a bit trickier (couldn't do it all at the one time) but I spoke to the Zinga tech bloke and he recommended a good black topcoat and it came up a treat.