Front CV removal and swivel queries...

Orange

Had a busy day today strippig the front axle to find the cause of the 2x4 rather than 4x4!!

First query.....

Got on fairly well, until I came to remove the CV and half shaft on the drivers side (short one). It appears to be stuck in at the diff end. Now, my query is how to remove it as the diff won't come out until it's removed - suggesting that it's yet another blown diff, rather than a broken h/s. Car is again a RRC with ABS

I've applied all the force I can to pull the shaft out whilst wiggling the diff on it's studs, but to no avail so far!! Any one got any clues??

The second query is about the swivels......

I've got one which was full of EP90 and the other with grease. Common consensus is to use grease as far as I can ascertain, but how much do I need to clean the oiled one before putting grease in it?? I'm taking it all apart anyway to replace the oil seals, but do I need to clean the bearings out completely, or is it not going to hurt??

TIA

Adrian

:)

The second query is about the swivels......

I've got one which was full of EP90 and the other with grease. Common consensus is to use grease as far as I can ascertain, but how much do I need to clean the oiled one before putting grease in it?? I'm taking it all apart anyway to replace the oil seals, but do I need to clean the bearings out completely, or is it not going to hurt??

Just drain the EP90 and fill with the swivel grease, remaining oil will cause no harm.

Guest diesel_jim

Sounds like the splines have twisted in the sun gears, making them very tight.

maybe try rebuilding the hub, then attaching another car to the hub somewhere and snatching it out? (although this will all depend on how well the little circlip holds on the end of the shaft into the CV)

Or weld an eye onto the end of the shaft (as if the splines are twisted you'll want to replace the shaft anyway), and connect the eye onto another car/winch/horizontal hi-lift/fast moving train/etc etc :lol:

If you DON'T have arbs (ie open normal diffs) then remove the other side, remove shaft, then shove a long thin steel rod down the tube and through the diff and then a tap on the end whilst someone else tugs

It does very much sound as though the splines have deformed in the drive flange of the gears, and you'll have to get it out as likley now its about to go pop at the next opportunity !

As the shaft is 99% knacked try molegrips !

Nige

:D Had the same problem with my 110, if the cv joint pulls off there should be a thread in the end of the remaining shaft. find a suitable bolt to thread in and get hold of a slide hammer attach to bolt and bash it out. I found the cv pulled off before the shaft let go from the diff and the bolt in the end did the trick. Otherwise as previously said it's a long pole in from the other side but not easy to make sure you are in the right palce before bashing away.

Best of luck.

I 3/4 snapped a shaft at the diff end a few weeks ago couldnt get the bl00dy fing out

ended up welding a long m10 both onto the end of the shaft then drilling a 10mm hole thro

a piece of angle, put the angle onto the bolt then do the nut up and it'll pull the shaft out ,

ended up using an air gun cos mine had twisted about half a turn b4 it broke